What's new

After details from today's Apple event...

oion

Remember that most so called tech journalists and news sites use Wordpress for the CMS and it chokes on Unicode so they need to use ASCII Text Editors, so for them Office doesn't mean anything. At the launch event most of the press had iPads or MacBook Air laptops and all were typing away using ASCII text editors :| Even Mary Jo stated she uses notepad for most of her work.

I guess I'm thinking about the academic fields, then, which is where 90% of my writing/editing has been. Journalism, to me, isn't even a legitimate work industry anymore because it's mostly just glorified amateur blogging. Hm, I'm in the mood to watch Good Night, and Good Luck again. :p

kristalsoldier

I guess I'm thinking about the academic fields, then, which is where 90% of my writing/editing has been. Journalism, to me, isn't even a legitimate work industry anymore because it's mostly just glorified amateur blogging. Hm, I'm in the mood to watch Good Night, and Good Luck again. :p

Yeah, I was thinking about the academic world too - though I do see a hell of a lot of Macs and iPads there. But when I ask why they use them, they are often hardpressed to provide well-reasoned and coherent answers. I guess it is that herd mentality at work - which is more than evident at conferences, for example!

oion

Agreed! Personally, I think the inclusion of Office is a huge enabler. And I remain mystified as to why it gains so little traction from the professional reviewers. On the question of the Kindle Paperwhite, I am not sure I would agree. Perhaps it works well when reading fiction, but I need something far more capable. The size of the iPad - in that particular role - is also critical. But then again, that is just me and based on my work. I should add that to me it is a sad commentary that we have now come to a stage where - as you put it - 'work' has become an ugly word. Or, it could just be the case that I am lucky that what passes for my understanding of 'work' and 'play' are inextricably mashed up!

The most perfect reading tech to me would be color e-paper with capacitive support (for zooming and light annotation) and optional backlight. Having a Sony e-reader, the e-paper is definitely a lot easier on the eyes than backlit for long periods, but consumer-grade e-paper can't handle color (magazines) and certainly nothing dynamic. Unfortunately, because backlit readers these days are a lot cheaper to produce and thus more accepted, I suspect e-paper/e-ink technology will languish and die out, which makes me sad. :( I mean, the battery life on e-paper devices is pretty epic.

Edit: Some additional reading, well-timed. :p

Last edited:

Telstar1948

Regarding using the iPad as a reader, I've always used mine in landscape mode—in fact, I use landscape mode exclusively for all my uses of the iPad, so I doubt I will vary from that with the SP2 when I get it :)

kristalsoldier

Regarding using the iPad as a reader, I've always used mine in landscape mode—in fact, I use landscape mode exclusively for all my uses of the iPad, so I doubt I will vary from that with the SP2 when I get it :)

I'm just the opposite. I have not yet used the iPad in landscape mode. It feels awkward. The opposite is true in so far as my use of the Surface and the Nexus 10 is concerned.

beman39

Yeah, I was thinking about the academic world too - though I do see a hell of a lot of Macs and iPads there. But when I ask why they use them, they are often hardpressed to provide well-reasoned and coherent answers. I guess it is that herd mentality at work - which is more than evident at conferences, for example!

yea it's called iSHeeple which is why it urks me when these reviewers write these articles bashing the Surface and you can SEE they don't have any SELF opinions because they're too busy with their noses up the other iSheeple arses lol anyone who has an open mind can see that the Surface is better at doing work/homework on it because of the Office app and its multi-usable on any computer which ALL have Office. as for the battery life maybe it's just me (probably is) but I find the battery life not so important as none of us live in the middle of the jungle and have access to a power source all around us even in our cars/trucks so it's not that big of a deal... but the one thing I have to say is MS did a great job on the quality and look and usability of the device! I can work/game/read/ and enjoy movies/music, it can do it all baby! lol which I'm not saying the ipad can't but I feel the Surface does it a little BETTER. :wink:

demandarin

Same here with my Ipad 1st. Generation. I e always liked the landscape mode better.

CrippsCorner

I'm just the opposite. I have not yet used the iPad in landscape mode. It feels awkward. The opposite is true in so far as my use of the Surface and the Nexus 10 is concerned.

Funnily enough I could never quite decide how to use an iPad (my girlfriend has one)

But ever since using the Surface I find myself naturally using the iPad in landscape mode too.

It's one of the reasons I bought the Surface. The Xperia Tablet S is naturally used in landscape mode, and I prefer reading that way, so I wanted the 16 x 9 aspect ratio over the 4 x 3, and I knew having the home button at the side would be annoying. Besides, most desktop and laptop monitors are widescreen these days anyway. The Air might be better, but that's a heck of a lot more expensive ($599 vs $440 for the S2 after the student discount).

kristalsoldier

Hmmm...interesting! I find the 4:3 aspect ratio almost perfect for reading and 16:9 for watching movies and for surfing! Odd, huh!!!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
16x9 is great for reading in landscape if you have the 2 page view on, feels like a more normal reading experience.