What's new

After Firmware update Surface Pro 4 thinks it's a Surface

user_1

I need help - my Surface Pro has forgotten it's [identity]. How can I fix the BIOS/EUID back to its original configuration?

I became frustrated at all of the little quirks in my new Microsoft Pro 4; the constant EMI/RFI interference between the two 3.0 USB ports and the constant need to change my mouse's USB fob was so irritating. So I searched Microsoft's support pages and learned of these recent firmware updates and decided to give it a try; Lone and behold, my Surfacs Pro no longer knows it is a Surface Pro and I believes it is a Surface (or Surface Book if I run Get-WmiObject Win64_ComputerSystem in Powershell)

2018-08-19 21_42_15-Windows PowerShell.png

Then I attempted to update per this list (-- very frustrating that there are no instructions which ones to do first, or if any order is even required)

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center
2018-08-19 21_16_06-Download.png

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

2018-08-19 18_14_58-Surface Pro 4.png

[On an aside: I tried to get help with the virtual MS Agent for my Lenovo Yoga and and I became locked out after [they] asked for my laptop password: very wary of MS.) My HP Envy 23 has continued to suffer with Win 10 updates -- There appears to a pattern here. Is it time to dump Microsoft?]

OP
U

user_1

Hi Jeff,
Thank you. I finally got to check the UEFI and it displays "Surface Book". I am going to tack a look at the link you sent me. Next - I need to learn how to [re-flash] the BIOS/UEFI.

Just a quick note: the cmd in Windows Powershell, Get-WmiObject Win32_ComputerSystem, Gave me the config (see (blue screen) above).

Thank you again. You've been a great help.

OP
U

user_1

Jeff - btw - For the group - the issue is still not fixed. Surface Pro 4 still thinks it is a Surface Book.