What's new

After firmware update to 239.2660.257.0 I cannot join my home WiFi

nachotsm

Hello all,

I was sitting at my home earlier today, normally surfing the web when I get the notification that I should reboot to finish installing a Windows (10) Update. Ok, sure, go ahead. I close everything and reboot

After the reboot I notice I cannot continue my surfing session. I check and I see I have not joined my home WiFi network. I try to join a number of times and every time I get the messag: "Can't connect to this network"

Sorry the screenshot is this big, but this is the error message after writting the password and selecting to be discoverable on the network:
upload_2019-8-4_5-17-32.png

Thinking some config file must got corrupted in the update, I search for the WiFi and make it forget to start anew. Nothign still not able to connect.

I pick up my iPhone, create a personal hotspot and, on the first try I'm able to log into the network and freely surf the Net.

There I find that with the firmware update 239.2660.257.0 there are indeed some modifications to the WiFi adapter, but I cannot find why I can join one network but not another.

Thinking that it could have been some config that is not being read at start up, I perform a hard reset (holding the power bottom for >10 sec)

Still after booting I'm ablet to join the phone's hotspot but no my WiFi.

My WiFi hardware is Tenda 6 that works fine for the rest of the wireless devices, and the Surface only moments ago. Just in case I've rebooted them, but I'm still locked out.

I'm really puzzeled about this since it makes no sense at all. But that is what is happening.

Any idea what can I do to join my own home WiFi? What info do you need from me?

Thank you all in advance
N

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for joining up, @nachotsm. Sorry you are having trouble.

Uninstall and remove your WiFi adapter with Device Manager. Then reboot.

Let us know.

Turbo4AWD

I don't have a link to the article at the moment, but this has been noted as an issue for a small group of 2017 Surface Pro devices. The firmware update prevents users from connecting to 5GHZ networks so the solution is like @sharpuser said. Uninstall and reboot. Do not reinstall as the issue WILL return if you reinstall.