What's new

After latest firmware update, WiFi won't automatically switch networks

Arcanox

I have a SP3 with Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. I have automatic updates disabled but I run Windows Update approximately once a month. Last Friday, I installed all the available updates, one of which was a system firmware update. Ever since then, my tablet won't automatically switch WiFi networks when it goes out of range. For example, I used my tablet at home on Saturday for a few minutes, and then put it back in my backpack and it automatically hibernated. I got to work this morning (50 miles away) and it still thought it was connected to my home WiFi network until I manually "disconnected" from it and told it to connect to my work network, which it normally automatically connects to.

This is definitely new behavior with the latest batch of updates I installed, but I can't find anyone else having this issue. Oddly enough, my old 2012 MacBook has the same issue in Windows 7, but I don't think they even use the same brand of WLAN adapter.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
"Forget" your WiFi networks, and re-introduce them. The normal switching behavior should resume.

OP
A

Arcanox

I forgot all the WiFi networks I regularly connect to, but it still thought I was connected to my home network when I got to my office today. I let it sit at the "available networks" screen for a while and it never disconnected from my home network, even though I'm 50 miles out of range. I had to manually disconnect and switch to the employee network at work again.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
"Forget" all networks only while disconnected from all networks. Otherwise, the current network won't be forgotten.

OP
A

Arcanox

I went into my Known WiFi Networks settings and manually forgot all the networks I normally connect to.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Even if you "forget" the current network, it won't be forgotten. Go radio silent before doing the "forget", to remove all.

OP
A

Arcanox

I was disconnected from all networks when I forgot them; I can try again when I get home and switch off my radio beforehand, but I was definitely disconnected and had to re-enter the PSK to connect.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Arcanox , have you tried any of these settings for you home or work network connections?

upload_2017-3-31_12-58-3.png

OP
A

Arcanox

Something else to note is that this morning, my tablet showed that it was connected to my work network while at my office, but I had to power-cycle the radio to get actual internet access. I put my tablet to sleep at my office two days ago and didn't use it again until this morning, so it's almost like Windows thinks the radio is still connected to the last network it used when it's not, and I have to force a reconnect for it to connect for real.

EDIT: Just saw your screenshot; my settings look exactly the same as that. The network definitely broadcasts its name; my Android phone finds it just fine, and if I power-cycle the radio on my Surface, it also finds it automatically.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Aha.

I think you need to:

1) Open Network and Sharing Center.
2) Change Adapter Settings
3) Right-click WiFi adapter, Properties
4) Right-click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP IPv4), Properties tab, Obtain an IP Address automatically
5) Right-click Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP IPv6), Properties tab, Obtain an IP Address automatically
It is likely that your work assigns an explicit IP address to you adapter, and it needs your permission to change that.