What's new

After unboxing - run all updates ?

Sven

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker here who is finally getting his grubby paws on a SP 3 this week.

Just a question - is it safe to assume step number one after unboxing and initial setup is to run all available windows updates for the device, which would then include normal windows updates and Surface specific firmware ones at the same time and just leave it to do its thing ?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

Last edited:

accesser

I did all my Windows & Firmware updates on day 1 and a friend at work also with no issues if you're not used to Windows 8 yet the update process is a little different but easy enough to work out

kristalsoldier

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker here who is finally getting his grubby paws on a SP 3 this week.

Just a question - is it safe to assume step number one after unboxing and initial setup is to run all available windows updates for the device, which would then include normal windows updates and Surface specific firmware ones at the same time and just leave it to do its thing ?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.

Pretty much! I took out my SP3 from the box and after I was able to tear myself from its form-factor which still fascinates me, I signed in using my MS account. It then synced my device with my desktop machine (which is what I had set it up to do - via OneDrive - and what I wanted - but you don't have to do this). It then informed me that a lot of updates were required and I just let it do its thing. It took some time and from time to time the SP3 shut itself off and turned itself back on. But at the end of the day, it all worked out just fine. I did this on the North American release day, that is to say, on June 20, and the SP3 has been performing like a champion ever since.

Just install your updates then sync your computer, download your applications you need. i get into it
I received my SP3 1 week ago and wow what a piece of machinery

Aeron15

It may depend on the model but when I tried installing 76 updates on my i3 model, it died midway of overheating. It still worked after the restart though. So uhh...Don't freak out when that happens :D

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience the smoothest way to do this is to wait for it to download all the updates on its own in the background then do a shutdown and install or restart and install (the options will change on the menu when its ready). Then it will work on installing them reboot a couple or three times, just be patient, as hard as that is.

OP
S

Sven

LOL. Thanks guys - makes sense - although overheating from installing updates will be a first for me if it happens. o_O [i5 128GB model]

I take it bios/firmware updates are included in the windows update packages as well then from what I am reading.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL. Thanks guys - makes sense - although overheating from installing updates will be a first for me if it happens. o_O [i5 128GB model]

I take it bios/firmware updates are included in the windows update packages as well then from what I am reading.
Correctamundo.

OPTiK

Make sure you visit the Microsoft App Store too. I forgot to do that, which kept me from getting all the OneNote updates (ie double click top of pen to screenshot). Windows Update will have the bulk of the updates though.

kristalsoldier

I have the same i5/ 128GB model and mine was just fine - it did not die or anything like that.

Aurelio

I bought mine in the store in one mall, and the first thing the consultant ask me to do it is to open, test it and install all UPDATES!!!!