What's new

Airport Extreme Workaround

ctitanic

Some of the users that have Wifi issues they either own an Airport Extreme router or a router that's using the same SSID for the 2.4 Ghz and the 5 Ghz bands. Recently one of this users posted this picture to illustrate the speed difference between his MacBook and the Surface Pro 3.

FileDownloadHandler (3).jpg

I asked him to change the SSID to a different one and post the same picture.

FileDownloadHandler (4).jpg

A noticeable improvement in both devices.

double07

I have older Apple extreme that can only do up to N at 300mbps at 5Ghz band. I just turned it on at tried it. Both my MBP 15 and SF3 able to connect to Apple extreme at maximum support link on 5GHz at 300mbps. I usually named my SSD as xxxx2 for 2.4ghz and xxxx5 for 5ghz. I don't name them exactly the same on any router.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

I have older Apple extreme that can only do up to N at 300mbps at 5Ghz band. I just turned it on at tried it. Both my MBP 15 and SF3 able to connect to Apple extreme at maximum support link on 5GHz at 300mbps.
Using the same SSID?

double07

why would one named both SSID the same? Does the router allow that? I never tried.

I just tried the same name SSID on my Apple extreme. I would NOT let me. If you name both the same. It automatically disable the 5GHz band. If you forced the 5Ghz back on, it automatically appended "5Ghz" at the end of the name.

diamond.g

The past three iterations of the Airport Extreme should allow for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands to be ran on the same SSID. That is the default configuration.

What version software is on your routers? My AC is 7.7.3 and my non-ac extreme (first gen dual band) is 7.6.4.

double07

The past three iterations of the Airport Extreme should allow for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands to be ran on the same SSID. That is the default configuration.

What version software is on your routers? My AC is 7.7.3 and my non-ac extreme (first gen dual band) is 7.6.4.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

I just tried the same name SSID on my Apple extreme. I would NOT let me. If you name both the same. It automatically disable the 5GHz band. If you forced the 5Ghz back on, it automatically appended "5Ghz" at the end of the name.
Like I said, it's not in that way in the newest.

diamond.g

So under wireless options on the wireless tab I see a checkbox for the name, that indicates that you can in fact have the 5Ghz band as a separate SSID, but it isn't the default. Using a tool like WiFi Analyzer on my phone shows all the bands across my two devices using the same name.