OP
leeshor

leeshor

Please recommend me a monitor that
  • I can use with the Surface 4 dock
  • Doesn't have any scaling issues or font blurriness
  • Costs between $125-$250
  • 22-24 inch size
ASUS VE228 I sell a ton of them and it works great with my SP4, and they also work well with the dock. 22"

unni

Does the VE228 have the font blurriness issue when you disconnect from the dock? My current monitor is Asus VE247 Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 23.6". The font blurriness is why I thought of getting another monitor.

I remember reading a post within the last one month where he had a problem with bluetooth or wifi on his surface 4. Ultimately, it was due to interference from the lava lamp on his desk!

Wow! OK. Next to the monitor there are speakers. I will remove them too to just check.

The problem is ... I have the connectors from Mini Display Port to VGA and the second to HDMI (bought them from MSFT store to use them when presenting). When I connect the MDP to VGA and to it I connect an old 22 inch VGA screen, there are no issues what so ever!?

It is possible with a poorly shielded cable, the frequency could be interfering with WiFi....

Just got a HAMA Mini Display Port to Display port. Tested with it - again a problem. It's not the cable obviously. I now took an HDMI to HDMI and I will connect the monitor via that one to another Windows 10 machine. Very interested in what's going to happen...

+ Also as I said above, I have the converters from Mini Display Port to VGA and the second to HDMI (bought them from MSFT store to use them when presenting). When I connect the MDP to VGA and to it I connect an old 22 inch VGA screen, there are no issues what so ever!?

OK. Found some pretty interesting things.

Test with HDMI. 2 tests HDMI to HDMI to another machine - no problems. Mini Display Port connector from MSFT to HDMI and from there HDMI to the screen - no problems. However, no 4k too.

Then if I plug the Mini Display Port to the Surface Pro 4 (i5) I immediately get the problems - wifi drops. Disconnected everything and removed everything around the screen - still problems. And then...

Went to the menu and moved that setting MST (now I learned what it is) to Secondary -> How to solve DP/Mini DP No Video/ Wrong resolution Issue with DELL P2715Q/P2415Q Flat Panel Monitor | Dell US

The Results: Wi-Fi is back. BUT, I don't get 60Hz!

Now, from I understood from the article, Intel Graphics 520 is DP1.2 Certified and so it should be supporting 60Hz 4K. Problem is, when I switch MST to Disabled and thus force 60Hz the problem reappears immediately.

Question for you guys - isn't that some type of nasty driver problem / software issue and who's fault it is. Is it Intel or is it Dell?

Quick note - I am with .4326 driver. Still don't know if I should update to the new one or wait for MSFT to release it through Update.

MaxBuck

Just an FYI here. I'm using a Toshiba Dynadock (an old model - probably 8 years old) and an eMachines (Acer) 20" external monitor. Working fine; just a minor bit of external screen jitter when scrolling. (Did not have this problem on my previous laptop, which was a Sony VAIO with a discrete graphics card from ATI.)

SirGadden

Bought a Dell U2515H, using a mini DP -> DP cable to connect it via the dock. Only problem I have is that it sometimes forget my screen setup when I connect it (only want external monitor active). Otherwise it's golden :)

Using the i7 SP4 btw...

unni

Bought a Dell U2515H, using a mini DP -> DP cable to connect it via the dock. Only problem I have is that it sometimes forget my screen setup when I connect it (only want external monitor active). Otherwise it's golden :)
Suppose you have a web page open in monitor. Then you disconnect the dock and web page is now shown in the tablet. Do the fonts look blurred in this case? Also, what scaling are you using for monitor and tablet?

My case turned out to be something wrong with my Surface. I today tried with another one (the same as mine) and the monitor works like magic. Obviously something in my port or something that's next to it inside the tablet itself is broken / damaged / whatever...

I will start and raise a ticket with Microsoft now...