What's new

All external monitor issues

mcparadis

I purchased a new 40 inch Samsung 4K monitor. Using upgraded dock. All upgrades upgraded on pro4.
I can not get a higher resolution than 1080. Help please. This is my third 4K monitor.

I purchased a new 40 inch Samsung 4K monitor. Using upgraded dock. All upgrades upgraded on pro4.
I can not get a higher resolution than 1080. Help please. This is my third 4K monitor.

Are you running an HDMI or DP cable? If HDMI, 2.0? If DisplayPort (e.g. - miniDP > DP), v1.2? If miniDP > DP is OSD on the Samsung set to DisplayPort 1.2?

erik braun

Anyone got problems with connecting Dell U2515H? Mine sometimes works without a fault, but sometimes flickers (goes black for 1-2 seconds, comes back on again - sometimes as much as 4 times a minute). Do I need a driver update?

jtrox02

I am having terrible luck with monitors working with my SP4 docking station.

Most of them will not shut off on their own when you turn of the computer. They continue to flash a message saying no signal, going to sleep shortly, but they never do. If you unplug the signal cable the monitor will go to sleep. Also if you plug directly into the SP4 display port output, it will work. I've tried about 5 different monitors now. I thought it was from converting to HDMI, but I have tried monitors with displayport too. One worked and went to sleep, but it died and the replacement was slightly different model and it has this problem too!!!

THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THESE DOCKING STATIONS! I wish someone would start a class action lawsuit or something.

I am having terrible luck with monitors working with my SP4 docking station.

Most of them will not shut off on their own when you turn of the computer. They continue to flash a message saying no signal, going to sleep shortly, but they never do. If you unplug the signal cable the monitor will go to sleep. Also if you plug directly into the SP4 display port output, it will work. I've tried about 5 different monitors now. I thought it was from converting to HDMI, but I have tried monitors with displayport too. One worked and went to sleep, but it died and the replacement was slightly different model and it has this problem too!!!

THERE IS SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THESE DOCKING STATIONS! I wish someone would start a class action lawsuit or something.

I stayed, stuck with using my SP3 port replicator. No problems on sleep with four different monitors to-date.

jtrox02

I stayed, stuck with using my SP3 port replicator. No problems on sleep with four different monitors to-date.

Good to know. I didn't realize the old SP3 dock would work with the SP4. Maybe I should take it back and get that one. Is there any disadvantage to it?

stammie

I hope I'm posting this in the right section, I've read through this thread and don't see the issues I'm experiencing being reported/addressed.
Occasionally I like to connect my SP4 to my 1080P TV, I use a mini display port adapter to HDMI to do this but I'm having several issues which I'm not sure if I'm being exceedingly thick or there are inherent problems doing this. When connected like this the TV is set as the sole display, let me list these issues:-

1/ The SP4 only connects at 1080i
2/ It will only connect at 60 Hz
3/ the scaling is all wrong

I can cure 1/ and 2/ by installing Intel's display drivers but try as I might I cannot find a selection with MS's drivers to select 1080P, all I seem to find is a setting for 1920 x 1080 which is the interlaced version and as I said I might be being very thick but I can't find any way to adjust the framerate.
You might say just use Intel's drivers but this introduces other issues, the first being every time the firmware is updated I then need to reinstall the Intel drivers, the second is try as I might with Intel's settings I cannot get the SP4 screen to look as good as it does with MS's drivers.
I would also add I want the framerate switching between 60 Hz and 50 Hz because when I connect the SP4 to my TV its for media duties and being in the UK 50 Hz broadcasts/streams look like sheet when displayed at 60 Hz.

With regard to issue 3/ I thought Windows 10 saved the scaling settings for external displays but this doesn't seem to be the case when the external display is set as the sole display.
I can change the scaling when connected to the TV but then when back on the SP4 screen everything has gone to pot and vice versa, again I'm prepared to admit I'm being thick but an answer hasn't jumped out to me.

My last question would be that of would a Surface Dock cure these issues? They are currently on a pretty good discount at Amazon.

MaxBuck

I don't have specifics on use of the SP4 with a TV, but generally speaking Windows 10 does not seem to have figured out very well how to reconcile a new, higher resolution internal display such as that on the SP4 with outboard displays. If you find settings where the internal displays work well, the outboard monitors look at least a bit strange, and vice versa.