What's new

All external monitor issues

I've had success uninstalling the display driver (and delete from disk), reboot and then run Windows Update to re-install the driver. No issues so far.

qwst

I'm going from memory, the Sandybridge SoC on the SP3 supported 4K HDMI at 30Hz...
Just an update. The sp3 can support 4k at 60hz using HDMI 2.0 and mdp 1.2.

Hope this helps anyone reading this.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

WTTNdba

I have had my SP4 for almost a year now, and over the weekend, I successfully connect 3 external monitors to my SP4. The big snag that I resolved was that the surface dock I just purchased needed a firmware update.

So imo, if you are having issues and are using the dock, get the surface dock updater tool and see if you have the latest firmware.

hastyle

Hey guys just picked up a the dock for my sp4 about 3 months ago been working fine, but recently i unplugged the dock connector in the tablet and now my monitor wont connect to my tablet. I disconnected the minidisplay and put it directly to the tablet and it works fine, but when i plug it back into the dock, it doesnt wanna connect?

any idea on what this could be?

thanks

My setup:

Surface 4 Pro i5
Surface 4 dock (brick style)
Dell u2713H

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys just picked up a the dock for my sp4 about 3 months ago been working fine, but recently i unplugged the dock connector in the tablet and now my monitor wont connect to my tablet. I disconnected the minidisplay and put it directly to the tablet and it works fine, but when i plug it back into the dock, it doesnt wanna connect?

thanks

My setup:

Surface 4 Pro i5
Dell u2713H
Download the Surface Dock Firmware Updater and update the firmware, if that doesn't fix it you may have a defective dock.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

thanks

My setup:

Surface 4 Pro i5
Dell u2713H

I find that with my dell (whether brand is a key variable or not I don't know), occasionally if I shut the surface down, or plug the dock back in etc, then occasionally the monitor is not detected and I have to unplug it from the dock, and try switching between the two mDP outputs for a bit until it gets detected again. I've never found a specific solution, just a case of fiddling around till it finally plays ball.

hastyle

hey guys, tried the firmware update no luck, switching to an dvi with md converter works, but it only shows max res of 1920. weird how it just stop working all of a sudden.

MikeD16

Hi

I realise this is a basic question and probably a simple answer but I have been reading through the forum and trying to find the answer so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction? I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a Pavilion 24XW monitor - It has two HDMI ports on the back of the monitor. I want to try and hook my Surface Pro 4 up to it as a second monitor. I have a HDMI cable attached to the second HDMI port on the back of the monitor and that goes, via the converter, into the Surface Pro. The Surface Pro detects the monitor but I cannot get the PC to detect the Surface Pro and can't get either to share - duplicate the view (either way) or extend the PC's desktop.

Should the HDMI cable be going direct into the Monitor for this to work or should it go direct into the PC? or is it ok going into the second port in the back. I remember being show in the store a second screen attached this way and it did work - but this wasnt a Surface Pro. I have serached online but can't seem to find an answer anyone got any ideas?

Of course this may not be possible at all and I may just have to stick 'splashtop' which does work but there is a slight lag when using the pen which is a bit frustrating and was hoping HDMI cable would remove that? (if possible!)

Thanks