What's new

All external monitor issues

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi

I realise this is a basic question and probably a simple answer but I have been reading through the forum and trying to find the answer so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction? I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a Pavilion 24XW monitor - It has two HDMI ports on the back of the monitor. I want to try and hook my Surface Pro 4 up to it as a second monitor. I have a HDMI cable attached to the second HDMI port on the back of the monitor and that goes, via the converter, into the Surface Pro. The Surface Pro detects the monitor but I cannot get the PC to detect the Surface Pro and can't get either to share - duplicate the view (either way) or extend the PC's desktop.

Should the HDMI cable be going direct into the Monitor for this to work or should it go direct into the PC? or is it ok going into the second port in the back. I remember being show in the store a second screen attached this way and it did work - but this wasnt a Surface Pro. I have serached online but can't seem to find an answer anyone got any ideas?

Of course this may not be possible at all and I may just have to stick 'splashtop' which does work but there is a slight lag when using the pen which is a bit frustrating and was hoping HDMI cable would remove that? (if possible!)

Thanks
What you ate attempting to do would require HDMI In and very few PCs support this, especially the devices you're trying to use.... sorry won't work.

MikeD16

What you ate attempting to do would require HDMI In and very few PCs support this, especially the devices you're trying to use.... sorry won't work.

Thanks Jeff, do you know what would work, would it need to be VGA cable? (the converter for the Surface that I have does HDMI, VGA and DVI).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jeff, do you know what would work, would it need to be VGA cable? (the converter for the Surface that I have does HDMI, VGA and DVI).
If I understand, you want the HP desktop to use your Surface as monitor and/or input device, this isn't a function that is supported in hardware. You could use Remote Desktop from your surface or if all you want is to use your Surface as an external monitor and both devices support Miracast you could use the Windows 10 AU App called Connect and connect your desktop to the Surface that way....

Jun88

I've been struggling with keeping my external monitors driven from the Surface Pro 4 dock to stop cutting out and need some advice.

I've replaced my desktop setup to a Surface Pro 4 i7 16GB + New Surface Dock. But ever since I got this setup, I've been struggling to keep my two monitors connected to my dock from lossing signal. I've tried many different things, but haven't seem to be able to find a long term stable solution. Looking on the web didn't yield me any positive result or any anyone posting similar problem in recent days.

Here's my setup:
- Surface Pro 4 16GB
- New Surface Dock
- Mini Displayport to DVI adapter
- VE247 DVI monitor
- SyncMaster 710T DVI monitor

I don't seem to have any trouble or problem running my monitors off this setup, but after using it for sometime (few minutes to few hours) the external monitors would appears to lose signals and turn off leaving my Surface Pro 4 monitor on. Looking at the device manager or display setting shows my two other monitor, but I'm unable to extend my desktop or get their signal back. The most efficient way to bring them back is to do a power cycle on the dock. Unplugging the dock for 10 second would normally do the trick to bring the monitors back.

If I move the cables or dock a bit it would disconnect the monitor in the same way. Unplugging the monitor cable and reconnecting it back doesn't help bring it back. I always have to do a power cycle on the dock to get my monitors back.

Is kind of strange in the fact that I can leave my computer on or put it in lock screen mode for over night and day and not have any monitor issues. It normally crash or cut out when I put load at it. The kind of load I put it to would be running a YouTube video on one monitor and working with browsers and RemoteDesktop on other screens. Sometime the monitor can crap out without much load as well.

Some of the things I've tried, but didn't help:

1. I've also read power draw from other USB device on the dock can cause monitor issues.
- My dock is connected to an external sound card and USB is fully loaded with keyboard, mouse and hubs.
- I've tried removing all the usb connected device and drive it directly off the surface instead, but this doesn't seem to fix the problem either.

2. I've tried connecting only one monitor, but it doesn't seem to change anything or extend the period before having issue.

3. I've tried running one monitor directly off the surface and the other off the dock.
- The monitor connected directly to the surface never have any issues, but the monitor connected to the dock still craps out.

4. I've fully updated my window and using the dock firmware updater to fully update the dock firmware to the latest.

5. I've read someone had it working by orienting the cable to point vertically.
- I've ran out of idea, so I've tried this too without much success.

6. I've read that the dock's mDP require an active mDP to Dvi adapter.
- Currently I'm using the VicTsing Mini DisplayPort 3-1 adapter I got off Amazon
- After learning that I've tried the Cable Matters Gold Plated Active Mini DisplayPort to DVI but it yield even worst results
I believe the VicTsing isn't an active adapter, but it appears to work for longer period of time. When I switch over to the Cable Matters active adapter it would scamble my video feed after a couple minute or hours and cut off. The VicTsing never scamble the feed, but it would just disconnect my monitors. I think the VicTsing adapter actually work better for a prolonged period of time.
- Having both adapters, I've tried running one monitor off the VicTsing and the other off Cable Matters. The Cable Matter active adapter actually crap out first with the scamble feed.
- I've also retest everything using both adapter and a combination of them.

A lot of people seem to have issue when docking and undocking the device, but I don't really have any issue with regards to that. The monitors works fine after redocking everytime.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with my dock, or adapter or monitor compatibility.

If anyone have two cents to give, I would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit:
One more thing I've discovery recently, using the Shift + Ctrl + Win + B (restarting graphic driver) will recover my monitors. Sometime it will take two or three restart, but it would reconnect my monitors again. I've gone back to using the VicTsing passive mDP to Dvi adapter.

This brings to the question, is it the video driver that's the problem here? Is it that the SP4 doesn't have enough power to run two monitors under load? Or maybe there's a bug in the graphic driver that crash under certain situations.

Edit 2:
Got in contact with Microsoft Online Chat support and we determind it might be a defected unit or a problem with the cable.

So I brought my SP4 and Dock into the Microsoft store the next day to debug the issue. After spending over an hour at the store and testing three different dock and a combination of all the connections I think we identified the problem.

Inititaly we couldn't reproduce my issue with single monitor, until we plug in two monitors. After plugging in two monitors we can disrupt the video and connection by wiggling the cable from SP4 to Dock.

Our initial assessment was a defected unit, so we grab a demo unit from the store and test it. Worked fine with the demo unit, so got my dock replaced with a brand new unit. After hotswapping the demo dock with the brand new unit the problem came back.

Then we hotswap back to the demo unit and the problem until to exist.

After a couple more test we finally identify the possible cause.

TL;DR:

The problem is if the external monitors are connected to the dock after the surface has booted up it can cause video glitch or connection glitch. The stable way is to connect all the wires before booting up Surface and it has been running stable since.

This is looks like a software/firmware bug, but that has a real physical element. Is baffling that slighty moving the cable can cause monitors to turn off and glitch out, but this problem can be fix or avoided if boot Surface up with the dock and monitor connected.

Last edited:

zahgrim

I am testing out a Surface 4 Pro at my work place to see if dual 4K is possible. This SFP4 had been off for about 5 months, perhaps longer, and is a few months shy of being 1 year old. I prepped a fresh Windows 10 on it, and updated all essential drivers. I put on the latest stable drivers from Intel for the Iris 540 by pointing it to the installer's extracted directory. When I tried the dock, both of my SEIKI SE39UY04's supported 3840x2160@30Hz beautifully. Things looked quite promising.

The next day I rebooted the SFP4 and it applied firmware updates and a salvo of others.

Now I can't get 4K with either of two different (most likely passive DP) adapters. One DP is a multi-port having HDMI with 4K supported natively, and the other is an Apple A1306 with a Monoprice DVI-D to HDMI.

Strangely, both displays supported 4K for several days in a row. The only issue I had with the SFP4 was that it refused to wake up the SurfaceDisplay when awakening it from sleep (I'd have to press and hold the power button until the swipe down notice appeared). Now that problem is gone, but I'd gladly trade it for working 4K.

Today, I purged the video drivers with "Delete driver files" along with removing the display driver via the device manager and I installed the MSI from Microsoft for the Surface Pro 4 driver bundle. I wiped everything with Just erase my files. The situation has not improved.

Now when I switch to purely one of the external monitors with the SurfaceDisplay off, it defaults to 1920x1080 24Hz. If I extend, it sets up 1920x1080 60Hz.

Here comes the kicker: If I use a miniDP to DP unibody adapter, add a Monoprice active DP to DVI, and the Monoprice DP to HDMI, I get 3840x2160 30Hz. There is some signal distortion across the top bar. I then tried with the same miniDP to DP unibody and a Monoprice active DP to HDMI -- which works fabulously with an HP Chromebox at 2160p 30Hz on the same displays -- and it started to output 3840x2160 30Hz, but then dropped to "no signal" and then after unplugging and plugging back in wouldn't allow me to set any resolution on the SEIKI.

Is there an update known to have royally botched up 4K support?

Perhaps Microsoft implemented a requirement for some compliance with HDCP (hence the 1920x1080 24Hz bogusness?).

The recent updates (in this order) include
Microsoft driver update for the Surface Ethernet Adapter
Microsoft driver update for the Surface Dock integration (Failed to install)
Microsoft driver update for Surface Storage Firmware Update
Microsoft - System - 11/4/2016 12:00:00 AM - 1.0.121.0
Microsoft - Firmware - 12/8/2016 12:00:00 AM - 103.1413.258.0
Microsoft - System - 12/9/2016 12:00:00 AM - 2.0.302.0
Intel Corporation - HIDClass - 11/10/2016 12:00:00 AM - 1.2.0.78
Microsoft - Firmware - 12/7/2016 12:00:00 AM - 106.1414.768.0
Microsoft - System - 10/11/2016 12:00:00 AM - 1.0.241.0
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830)
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player (KB3214628)
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)
Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199986)

Last edited:

JohnniNeutron

I've been reading and I haven't found a solution (may have overlooked). So what are users doing with scaling resolution issues with the Surface Dock (blurry, extra small/extra large icons)?

MickeyLittle

Try this and let me know how you like it. It is a free 30 day trial, no credit card or email address needed to use it and you can keep using the free version forever if you want but I purchased as it is that good and I wanted multiple monitor support.

DisplayFusion

Also there is a cool feature that allows you to move your open window from 1 monitor to the next with just a simple mouse click. Much easier than dragging it from monitor to monitor.

Move to Monitor icon.png

mickjf

So I've got a Philips BDM3470 that is connected via displayport to my main PC (an Intel NUC). I wanted to be able to connect my work i5 SP3 to it via HDMI and bought a mini DP to HDMI cable that works perfectly at 3440x1440.

Problem is when I try and connect my i7 SP4 using the same cable and HDMI port, it only allows me a maximum of 1920x1080. I've tried everything from registry hacks to tools like Display Fusion but it seems the maximum I can get with the SP4 is 1080.

Seems crazy that the older SP3 works but the newer SP4 doesn't??

seanacs

I have a Surface Pro 4 with a docking station with external monitor connected, both keyboards (1 to stay in the office) and mouse. What I'd like to happen is for when the Surface is connected to the docking station and the lid is then closed, is for the Surface Pro Screen to turn off and an external display to stay on.

I have made the changes in the power options so that when the type cover is closed it stays on when connected to power:

I have also changed the display settings to disable the Surface Pro Screen and only enable the external screen.

When I close the lid this works and strangely it comes up with the question "Do you want to switch to tablet mode?", I click no. This works for 1 minute, then the surface pro screen comes on again and having to use both screens. I've looked through the power settings and can't see anything related to this.

I've been using the Windows Key+P to switch to Second Screen only and this works, however a couple of things don't make sense:

Why is it asking to change to tablet mode when closing the Type cover?

If the Surface screen is set to disable when connected to this monitor, why is it coming on?

Is there a way around this other than manually doing it?

Many thanks,

Sean

jtrox02

I've been reading and I haven't found a solution (may have overlooked). So what are users doing with scaling resolution issues with the Surface Dock (blurry, extra small/extra large icons)?

I'm not sure if there is a complete fix yet, but if my scaling is off, signing out and signing back in again will fix it. Also make sure you have yourmain display set as the one you use the most as that will set scaling for desktop programs.

This also has to be done every time going from working on the Surface as a standalone device to plugging it in to external monitor or vice versa. Otherwise any desktop apps will have incorrect scaling. Only Windows Universal Apps are smart enough to determine the scaling of the monitor they are currently displayed in for some reason. Desktop programs only accept the scaling of your main display. So anytime you drag them to secondary display, scaling will always be off. I'm not aware of fix for this but if anyone is, please share.

chadrandom

I have a Surface Pro 4 with a docking station with external monitor connected, both keyboards (1 to stay in the office) and mouse. What I'd like to happen is for when the Surface is connected to the docking station and the lid is then closed, is for the Surface Pro Screen to turn off and an external display to stay on.

I have made the changes in the power options so that when the type cover is closed it stays on when connected to power:

I have also changed the display settings to disable the Surface Pro Screen and only enable the external screen.

When I close the lid this works and strangely it comes up with the question "Do you want to switch to tablet mode?", I click no. This works for 1 minute, then the surface pro screen comes on again and having to use both screens. I've looked through the power settings and can't see anything related to this.

I've been using the Windows Key+P to switch to Second Screen only and this works, however a couple of things don't make sense:

Why is it asking to change to tablet mode when closing the Type cover?

If the Surface screen is set to disable when connected to this monitor, why is it coming on?

Is there a way around this other than manually doing it?

Many thanks,

Sean

I have the same problem. It's kind of ridiculous really. Seems like this should be a no brainer.