What's new

All Surface Book models are sold out online (?)

nogridbag

All options for the Surface Book now say "Email me when available". Do you think it's simply good marketing on Microsoft's part?

Not surprising.
Not sure if that was just marketing or interest in something new. The high end model switched to that a few days ago. The might just be selling that fast.

FBI Informant

MS had to take nearly a $1B write-down on the Surface RT because they made far more than they could sell. I'm confident they learned from that mistake. They would have manufactured a conservative number on the first run, and will build more quickly based on how well this run has sold.

Migi

The problem is if they only ordered enough components for 50K units, guess what? Apple with their purchasing power has already cornered the market on SSDs...

CrippsCorner

I think he's saying the components will be eaten up by Apple, although I'm not sure if the internals of the iPad Pro are in any way comparable to the Surface Book.

Either way, hold on tight, I'm sure they'll be back in stock too :) Microsoft want and need to sell a lot of these!

Tsurugaya

Being sold out this long before launch might be interpreted as high demand, but for Microsoft it is bad marketing. They risk losing a lot of sales if people decide to opt for another maker's solution.

Nuspieds

Being sold out this long before launch might be interpreted as high demand, but for Microsoft it is bad marketing. They risk losing a lot of sales if people decide to opt for another maker's solution.
Bad marketing? For what? It's sold out, it's sold out. Assuming they didn't just make a handful, it's actually good PR.

But you have to remember that it is pre-ordering; GA has not yet been reached. Come GA, it can be purchased from various sources besides the MS online store. So if you want, you can get it.

leeshor

I'm sure they allotted many for the retail stores that may even have them by now, but I agree that there is no bad press there.