What's new

Alt-P (menu tab) fails

mikecox

The menu bar in Lightroom has a number of tabs, like Edit, Window, View, Photo, Metadata, etc. I can click on the tab to open them but I am trying to create a macro that starts by opening the Photo tab so my first command in Alt+P, which would ordinarily open the Photo tab, but it doesn't work. Alt+E, W, V, M, etc all work to open the respective tabs but Alt+P fails every time.

I posted this question on my Lr forum and no else is having this problem. After I got their response I opened Lr on my desktop and it works on that machine every time.

The first time I noticed this problem was a year ago and since then my IT service has run a "tune up" on my system several times and I have run regular system upgrades so I don't think there is a virus or malware issue.

I have never, knowingly, remapped any keys on my keyboard.

So why does this shortcut fail to work on my SB but not on my Desktop?

Cimmerian

The menu bar in Lightroom has a number of tabs, like Edit, Window, View, Photo, Metadata, etc. I can click on the tab to open them but I am trying to create a macro that starts by opening the Photo tab so my first command in Alt+P, which would ordinarily open the Photo tab, but it doesn't work. Alt+E, W, V, M, etc all work to open the respective tabs but Alt+P fails every time.

I posted this question on my Lr forum and no else is having this problem. After I got their response I opened Lr on my desktop and it works on that machine every time.

The first time I noticed this problem was a year ago and since then my IT service has run a "tune up" on my system several times and I have run regular system upgrades so I don't think there is a virus or malware issue.

I have never, knowingly, remapped any keys on my keyboard.

So why does this shortcut fail to work on my SB but not on my Desktop?

This is strange, I use Lightroom all the time and the ALT+P works every time. It works docked using a wireless keyboard, it works un-docked on its own keyboard.

When you say "tune up" does this entail a system restore? Is this IT from your work? Do they run a custom image file? What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? Lastly are you using Adobe Creative Cloud or an older version of the software?

OP
mikecox

mikecox

My "IT" service in Geek Squad. About every 6 months I contact them to run their "tune up" procedures which are a battery of procedures they run that scan for viruses, malware and whatever else can cause problems with the OS. I don't know if that included "custom image file". I am running Win10 Pro that came installed on my SB, which run updates automatically. I am using Adobe CC with Lr and Ps which I keep it current, and like you I run docked with a external speakers, monitor, track ball and several ext drives. I haven't tried Alt-P with the docking station unplugged yet, I'll try doing that today when I get home from the gym.

Cimmerian

My "IT" service in Geek Squad. About every 6 months I contact them to run their "tune up" procedures which are a battery of procedures they run that scan for viruses, malware and whatever else can cause problems with the OS. I don't know if that included "custom image file". I am running Win10 Pro that came installed on my SB, which run updates automatically. I am using Adobe CC with Lr and Ps which I keep it current, and like you I run docked with a external speakers, monitor, track ball and several ext drives. I haven't tried Alt-P with the docking station unplugged yet, I'll try doing that today when I get home from the gym.

Let us know, if the keyboard on the Surface works that will be a pretty easy fix but I feel like it wont if it doesn't work docked.

There is a reset all settings option under the settings tab, not sure if you have tried that. If these things don't work I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom specifically, if that doesn't work I would do a complete system restore in windows settings. Make sure to back up everything if you go that route of course.

Screenshot_3_LI.jpg

OP
mikecox

mikecox

Thanks for this suggestion but it's overkill, I can live with this issue. Someone on Lr suggested the following workaround. Use Alt+L or Alt+M and a left or right arrow key to get to P in my macro.

Cimmerian

Are you referring to the system restore, reset settings, or uninstall and reinstall of Lightroom? I can see a full system reset as overkill if it doesn't bug you enough, but the other two options should be fairly easy. Didn't work?

OP
mikecox

mikecox

I haven't tried re-installing Lr yet. I'll give a try that when I'm finished my current project and met my deadline.

Thanks