What's new

alt-tab in tablet mode

cellsaver

What's the best way to achieve alt-Tab when in tablet mode? Swiping right from the left edge of the screen will bring up the desktop for me, but it doesn't allow me to cycle through all my programs within the desktop.

Thanks,
TC

OP
C

cellsaver

Unfortunately I have to switch tabs sometimes twice a minute. This solution is about as quick as flipping the keyboard around and just using that.

Anyone know of any quick utilities for this? Or maybe something to reprogram the Windows key on the screen to do an alt-tab?

J515OP

Super Moderator
So if I understand correctly you are looking for a gesture to quickly switch between open desktop applications. Desktop does not support gesture based input so there isn't a way to swipe from the side to cycle through desktop applications. About the closest thing you can do is to use an app in the side bar. Then shifting that app to the main app and placing the desktop in the side bar you will get a list of all the open desktop windows in the side bar. Touching the one you want will make that widow open and move desktop to the main part of the screen.

So in practice it would go some thing like this. Open desktop and all windows necessary. Open secondary app and place it in right or left side bar. Swipe left or right (depending on which side you placed the app) to make the desktop the sidebar app. Then touch the window you want to switch to. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Of course simply using the keyboard is going to be the quickest option to switch between open windows even if you had a direct gesture. Pressing two keys repeatedly is quicker that reaching up and swiping multiple times.

windows8-review-metro,F-U-358266-22.png

Last edited:

tonyz3

Unfortunately I have to switch tabs sometimes twice a minute. This solution is about as quick as flipping the keyboard around and just using that.

Anyone know of any quick utilities for this? Or maybe something to reprogram the Windows key on the screen to do an alt-tab?
Did you read my full post- yes I agree with the swiping would be ideal. But in tablet mode I use the Quick launch bar -Which adds a window switcher icon--- While in Desktop it requires tap the icon on the taskbar all the way to the left and a second tap to choose which screen. if you are using the stylus you would preview each screen as you hover...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Did you read my full post- yes I agree with the swiping would be ideal. But in tablet mode I use the Quick launch bar -Which adds a window switcher icon--- While in Desktop it requires tap the icon on the taskbar all the way to the left and a second tap to choose which screen. if you are using the stylus you would preview each screen as you hover...

Which is also another good point. In desktop why not just choose the app from the task bar as has always been the case in Windows? The running apps appear on the task bar just touch the want you want to switch to it. You don't even need to use the quick launch app to quickly switch between open desktop apps.

tonyz3

Which is also another good point. In desktop why not just choose the app from the task bar as has always been the case in Windows? The running apps appear on the task bar just touch the want you want to switch to it. You don't even need to use the quick launch app to quickly switch between open desktop apps.

Wow this whole thread train wreck fell off the rails..:LOL: That is true but additionally if you use the quick launch window switcher it adds any open metro apps to the window switcher which I think is what the OP needed. But to summarize- until they add swipe in function you have plenty of options for what you what to do...

OP
C

cellsaver

I have to keep my taskbar hidden because I need the real estate. I don't know of a good way to bring up the taskbar when in tablet mode to accomplish these options easily.

However, I did discover just playing around that if you swipe down from the top and fling to the right it shows you all of the open apps to choose from. Maybe this is what the earlier poster was talking about with the sidebar. Sorry...new to Win8.

AndrewG

Wow this whole thread train wreck fell off the rails..:LOL: That is true but additionally if you use the quick launch window switcher it adds any open metro apps to the window switcher which I think is what the OP needed. But to summarize- until they add swipe in function you have plenty of options for what you what to do...

Yeah, complete train wreck. Useless.

If I'm not mistaken, in Win8.1 you could swipe down from the top left corner and you'd get your last-used window. But in Win10 there's nothing like that apparently. I think it would be awesome to be able to swipe in from the left edge to activate Task View, but without lifting your finger, swipe back over the same left edge, and you'd get to your last-used app. In fact the way things stand in Windows 10, it's practically begging for this. I made this suggestion through the feedback app, I hope someone reads those!