What's new

Amazing amount of problems with Surface Book

SeanP

Strangest problem is color temp changes on web pages as you scroll. Goes from a light white screen to a purple or yellow hue once you hit a certain point in the page, happens consistently on long pages and easy repeatable. Happens on both the external monitor and the laptop screen.

This is a major issue. It happens consistently and I thought it was because I was having issues removing the screen. When I detach, I wait for the click sound, and when removing, the left side of the screen gets stuck. I've had to push it back into place with plenty of force and try again, and again, and again, and again. Only works when I yank EXTREMELY hard and looks awkward. I'm afraid I am going to break this thing.

I know if I try and get a replacement it's going to take weeks or more because they are sold out. So frustrating but not surprising. Not sure why I had faith that MS would get this one right. smh

mkenny28

This is a major issue. It happens consistently and I thought it was because I was having issues removing the screen. When I detach, I wait for the click sound, and when removing, the left side of the screen gets stuck. I've had to push it back into place with plenty of force and try again, and again, and again, and again. Only works when I yank EXTREMELY hard and looks awkward. I'm afraid I am going to break this thing.

I know if I try and get a replacement it's going to take weeks or more because they are sold out. So frustrating but not surprising. Not sure why I had faith that MS would get this one right. smh

Just my two cents but if you feel like your screen detach issue is hardware related (which from several of your posts sounds like that is a distinct possibility) then you should return or exchange it. I know that will be a giant pain because you likely won't get a replacement for weeks. You could always wait for the demand to die down and then warranty it but I would always opt for a return/exchange while in the window to do so; much better process and you will get a new product not a refurb down the line.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just my two cents but if you feel like your screen detach issue is hardware related (which from several of your posts sounds like that is a distinct possibility) then you should return or exchange it. I know that will be a giant pain because you likely won't get a replacement for weeks. You could always wait for the demand to die down and then warranty it but I would always opt for a return/exchange while in the window to do so; much better process and you will get a new product not a refurb down the line.
That's an assumption but they may have some spares for just such issues. Either way, better to find out what's what than worry and fret about it as that's not going to accomplish a thing unless your goal is to feel bad.

mkenny28

That's an assumption but they may have some spares for just such issues. Either way, better to find out what's what than worry and fret about it as that's not going to accomplish a thing unless your goal is to feel bad.

Oh it is an absolute assumption. I would hope Microsoft has some spares for situations like this but with so many SKUs that might not be the case. The keyboards are interchangeable so it would be interesting to see if the tablet does the same thing on another base. Probably wouldn't change anything since the muscle wire and other mechanisms are in the tablet portion. Regardless it can't hurt to bring it in to a Microsoft Store (if that is even an option) and ask them to try it out.

OP
E

ericspt

So I just got an update, just said Windows 10 update.

Color issue is gone on scrolling and the overall color temp tone is much improved.

One other thing I did was changed my refresh to 60hz, the Surface picked 59hz initially. I had the problem at 59 and 60 but the text quality was much improved at 60.

EMINENT

So I just got an update, just said Windows 10 update.

Color issue is gone on scrolling and the overall color temp tone is much improved.

One other thing I did was changed my refresh to 60hz, the Surface picked 59hz initially. I had the problem at 59 and 60 but the text quality was much improved at 60.

That's good to hear. I'll check mine later. Meanwhile, i've also posted to their Twitter support here.

Surface Support (@SurfaceSupport) | Twitter

It's imperative that we reach out to MS when these issues come up. These updates can bring new features, but break things too as witnessed before.

bamaster

This thread reeeeeally makes me want to cancel my pre-order. Maybe the new XPS15 and a SP4 would be a better combo.

The Surface Book 2 may be worth waiting for.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There is a Day 1 Firmware Update, if applied without the dock, re-run update while in the Dock and the update will show up as a System Hardware Update.

OP
E

ericspt

There is a Day 1 Firmware Update, if applied without the dock, re-run update while in the Dock and the update will show up as a System Hardware Update.

That makes sense. I believe I had done all the updates out of the dock and set it up before plugging it in.

Not only is my color issue better, no dropped/black screen, and unplugging and plugging back into the dock is instant and shows correctly.

Hopefully that goes a long way towards addressing these issues. The dock was my biggest complaint.

bluegrass

Here is a video of the color temp change. Happens on most webpages as you scroll.

I couldn't see anything bad in the video. I wonder if some of the problems was that the devices you're having problems with don't have the proper driver for Windows 10.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I couldn't see anything bad in the video. I wonder if some of the problems was that the devices you're having problems with don't have the proper driver for Windows 10.

You don't notice the colour changes? That would drive me mad.