What's new

Amazon Echo Officially Unveiled - Could it be Serious Competition for Cortana?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
amazon-echo-landing.jpeg

Amazon just sent a serious message to the rest of the tech world today. They announced a new product called the Amazon Echo, and it could be poised to become serious competition for Microsoft's Cortana. The Amazon Echo is basically Amazon's in-home version of a digital personal AI-like assistant, and it might just be a real game-changer.

Please check out more about the Amazon Echo over to our original article on the product at DroidForums: http://www.droidforums.net/threads/...ounced-surprises-from-out-of-the-blue.276013/

After you check out the article, please share your perspective on whether or not you think this device could be a major or minor shakeup of the tech world.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting. In the era of free software, make a single purpose piece of hardware that cost 5$ to build with the software and sell it for $199.

With extras, Amazon Echo Plus $299. Gold Edition $399. :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft had jolly well better get Cortana out on Windows 8.1, and even perhaps on an iPhone app straightaway.

Kif

Are people being serious or sarcastic because I see this gathering dust in the warehouse right next to the Amazon phone. I think of myself as being decently perceptive about this stuff but maybe I'm wrong.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
This thing will likely sell like crazy!
The NSA and CIA just ordered thousands. :)

"Far-field voice recognition
Tucked under Echo's light ring is an array of seven microphones. These sensors use beam-forming technology to hear you from any direction. With enhanced noise cancellation, Echo can hear you ask a question even while it's playing music."

Just what the spy doctor ordered.

There will be one in every office of the future... um, maybe more than one. "Person of Interest" & ("1984" on steroids) just got one step closer.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those of you with iPhones running iOS 8.1 can enable "Hey Siri". With that, as long as the iPhone is plugged in to power, such as in the car or in the office, just saying "Hey Siri" starts a prompt, hands free. This makes any iPhone similar to the Amazon Echo, but portable.
But is it *beam-forming* without that you have nothing :).
I cant wait to see the animation of this on CSI or Bones. Based on the audio vectoring we determined the unsub is the man in the grey suit. :D

Dim-Ize

Wow. I think this thing is going to sell like hot cakes for the Christmas season.

MS, Apple and Google will follow suit or a version similar.