What's new

Amazon Prime Instant Videos

J515OP

Super Moderator
So no Java...flaky flash support...no Silverlight either?? Seems ill designed on a tablet who's main task will be an internet browser....I sure hope this is going to be addressed in updates...the web is heavy with this stuff and it needs to function seamlessly on a tablet like surface, even the rt....am I right????

No, I think you are missing the point. The web is transforming and dropping these legacy type things (too slowly for some though) and moving to HTML5 standards. No current tablets support the things your are asking about. If you need java, flash support ("flaky" is better than none), silverlight or any other number of things not supported by current tablets then you need a true PC or at least a PC in tablet form like the Surface Pro.

The Surface RT is made to run on ARM processors instead of x86 processors which means there are compatibility issues with certain software. This is no different than any other smart phone or tablet currently on the market but even then the Surface RT still offers some flash support, MS Office, a traditional file system, plug and play compatibility with many devices including printers without any special apps.

If you want an ARM tablet that can do more out of the box than most other tablets then the Surface RT is probably your best bet. If you need all the trappings of a traditional PC then you can get the Surface Pro or another tablet or PC running Windows 8.

MSurfaceWA

So no Java...flaky flash support...no Silverlight either?? Seems ill designed on a tablet who's main task will be an internet browser....I sure hope this is going to be addressed in updates...the web is heavy with this stuff and it needs to function seamlessly on a tablet like surface, even the rt....am I right????

LOL - you know you named every tab on the market? iOS and Android don't support Java and Silverlight, and iOS doesn't support flash at all and Android does it way worse than the Surface. The Surface has the best flash support of any tab so far.

OP
M

Mbergin

I think the need for flash and Java and whatnot are only an issue now because we are doing things in a browser due to lack of an App. I know the Amazon Instant Video via IE wouldn't be a concern if Amazon would offer their existing Instant Video App to the MS Store. I just hate waiting!!!!