What's new

Anand claims SP2 firmware update helped battery life a lot

demandarin

You could always check your update history to see what's already been installed from previous updates. Or go into device manager. Then for whatever component you can view the lost of drivers your device has on file that's already been installed. Also an easy way to install or roll back also.

D1vad

Macmee- Open the desktop windows update and select "view update history". Funny thing is that above I said it became available 10/29 but it installed on 10/26, 10/27, 10/29, and 11/3. Clearly something is broken, at least for me. I don't think it is uninstallable. Ideas anyone?

Have you rebooted your surface, and then rebooted it once again? Done two reboots? This may fix your issue.

If you happen to lose your Wi-Fi don't panic just reboot...

revmike

Device manager won't let me install the driver says that I have the latest. Can someone who has installed the update driver list the number. Thanks

Last edited:

Ruffles

My Mavel Avastar 350N driver is 14.69.24044.150 dated 9/19/2013. I'm noticing much better battery life but I've also done a bunch of other things to optimize such as disabling live tiles for apps I don't care about and getting rid of background processes. My SP2 is now routinely estimating 8+ hours on a full charge.

macmee

My Mavel Avastar 350N driver is 14.69.24044.150 dated 9/19/2013. I'm noticing much better battery life but I've also done a bunch of other things to optimize such as disabling live tiles for apps I don't care about and getting rid of background processes. My SP2 is now routinely estimating 8+ hours on a full charge.

which background processes and how?

Ruffles

which background processes and how?

From the task manager, there is a startup tab that lists all the programs that run when you start up. You can disable them there. I uninstalled dropbox and disabled VMWare tray process, Nikon message center, Adobe CS5 service manager, Switchboard server, Steam, Adobe Updater, Winzip executable, ProfileReminder, and Send To Onenote.

OP
M

mtalinm

I'm also on auto0-update and have the latest.

Haven't had an oppty to do my full rundown test, but after 3.5-4 hours I am at 61% HOLY COW THAT IS BETTER THAN BEFORE

cesard09

I'm not sure if its only me but after installing the firmware update it shows the wifi card with the yellow exclamation in the device manager. Attempts to re install the driver fail. I finally installed the driver manually and a few minutes using ie on any site using flash, twitch, youtube, it reboots the surface pro into uefi controls for secure boot. Like it deactivates it. I choose to re-install secure boot keys again and reboot. Works fine until I go back to a flash website. I haven't investigated much further so i did a complete factory restore and did all windows updates again but skipped the firmware update. Anyone else experiencing this ?

OP
M

mtalinm

hrm, I'm not so sure anymore that this is such a huge boost. Just did another rundown test, slightly less formal than last time as I had to run to the pharmacy for my kid (hibernate while gone), but it was still in the 7-7.5 hour range.

Of course, I'm running and using Office the whole time. I guess if all you did was web browsing it would last longer (and the WiFi change would help more), but if all you're doing is web surfing then why did you buy a Pro...