What's new

Android apps on a Surface

sundance2013

I am thinking about buying a Surface 2. The main reason I have not
gone to a Surface already is the lack of apps. I have recently
learned about Blue Stacks that allows you to run Android app on
the Surface and in Windows in general.

Has anyone installed Blue Stack and can tell me how they run?

Will they access the GPS and other services on the Surface?

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You would need to buy the Surface Pro or Pro 2 to run Blue Stacks as it is an x86 Application that emulates the Android Environment. The Surface 2 can use applications available in the Windows Store. Specifically what App are you wanting that isn't available in the Windows Store or available via the Browser?

beman39

oh gawd here we go with the misconception of lack of apps lol no offence but that is an iPhone/android mentality and is no longer relevant any more as the MS store is way past 150,000 apps and has almost everything one needs, also IE11 is a full browser which some apps are not needed, yes there is apps/games that are exclusive to each OS like apple has their own exclusive apps and android has their own exclusive apps that neither have. same I guess with windows OS stuff exclusive you can't use on iPhone/android. and even you need certain apps for android/apple to be able to connect to windows (like file folders) that obviously you don't need on a Surface because it is already integrated in windows, I think the best bet is if your devoted to certain games devoted to android then perhaps you should stick with what your used to or comfortable with... also what apps were you specifically looking for? maybe we can help you find an alternative in the MS store?

ChemCat

I am thinking about buying a Surface 2. The main reason I have not
gone to a Surface already is the lack of apps. I have recently
learned about Blue Stacks that allows you to run Android app on
the Surface and in Windows in general.

Has anyone installed Blue Stack and can tell me how they run?

Will they access the GPS and other services on the Surface?

Thanks

Can you specify what you mean by "lack of apps"? Is 128,933 apps enough? I know you have a lot of time on your hands, and that it will only take you a couple days to go through all those apps. Perhaps you should stick with android or iOS where they got 600 billion million kazillion apps? They should keep you busy for a while.

be77solo

Wow, you guys were quite fast to jump all over this poor fellow! I understand you are tired of hearing the "lack of apps" comment, and while the situation is improving, there IS still a huge deficit of apps for RT compared to iOS or Android.

I struggle with one category particularly that I've never seen a solution in the Windows Store: I'm a pilot, and I use my Android phone and tablets for in flight GPS navigation using FAA provided sectionals, charts, directories etc. New mobile devices have been a HUGE improvement in this area we call electronic flight bags and eliminate the need to carry back breaking bags full of paper charts and books on each flight. There are tons of great choices for iOS, and some really good programs that have caught up most of the way for Android, and work great. They provide fantastic and affordable situational awareness, in flight weather updates, backup instrumentation, traffic avoidance and more. However, I've yet to find one app for RT. It's possible I'm missing a jewel somewhere, but I just did a search and nothing pops up. Zilch.

I'd love to use either a Surface RT or my Surface Pro for this and finally retire my Android tablet, and while there are tons of apps, there are still a lot of areas that haven't even been touched by RT developers. This is one small example that effects me directly, and I have no idea what the original poster was looking for or needs, but he did ask an honest question. :)

No disrespect to the RT crowd here at all, and I love my Surface. But more apps are needed, at least by some of us.

macmee

oh gawd here we go with the misconception of lack of apps lol no offence but that is an iPhone/android mentality and is no longer relevant any more as the MS store is way past 150,000 apps and has almost everything one needs, also IE11 is a full browser which some apps are not needed, yes there is apps/games that are exclusive to each OS like apple has their own exclusive apps and android has their own exclusive apps that neither have. same I guess with windows OS stuff exclusive you can't use on iPhone/android. and even you need certain apps for android/apple to be able to connect to windows (like file folders) that obviously you don't need on a Surface because it is already integrated in windows, I think the best bet is if your devoted to certain games devoted to android then perhaps you should stick with what your used to or comfortable with... also what apps were you specifically looking for? maybe we can help you find an alternative in the MS store?

The W8 store has SOME good apps, but it's far too young to have "almost everything one needs". I agree that having IE11 is a giant bonus, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Android and especially iOS have had years more time to develop a solid library of apps.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't jump all over the OP, I asked appropriate follow-up questions. For your specific Use Case there is hope, Delta has just switched to using Surface 2 for all of their Pilots and the industry leading App has been ported to the Modern UI. I believe currently it is be side loaded and I don't know if we'll see it in the general marketplace but there is movement.

be77solo

I didn't jump all over the OP, I asked appropriate follow-up questions. For your specific Use Case there is hope, Delta has just switched to using Surface 2 for all of their Pilots and the industry leading App has been ported to the Modern UI. I believe currently it is be side loaded and I don't know if we'll see it in the general marketplace but there is movement.

Wasn't trying to be negative, and wasn't directing that at you, but some other comments above rubbed me in a way that I was concerned we'd never see the OP again. :D I've never read about much great success with Bluestacks in regard to his original question, and I've yet to try it in my situation due to fear of stability issues at a bad time ha.

There are some really good RT apps, it does just need more time as posted above to be a fair comparison. I was an early adopter to Android, and back then iOS killed it in the Apps department and was a tough sell at first. But, given time, it improved to the point that it's a fruitful market. I'm positive given the same opportunity, the Windows store will get there as well.

No hard feelings across the board intended to any other poster.

oion

An appropriate answer to the OP is "what apps are you looking for?" as Jeff says. Because we can discount any app that emulates a web service if it runs fine on IE11, and then we can discount any app if there's a functional analogue. "Not enough apps" is never a legitimate complaint or even answer.

Just looking at the basics, though--no Blue Stacks on Windows RT, no GPS--the Surface does not fit the OP's use case because his priorities do not include MS Office and other admin-side utilities or Flash-enabled web browser. He should stick with an Android tablet.

macmee

An appropriate answer to the OP is "what apps are you looking for?" as Jeff says. Because we can discount any app that emulates a web service if it runs fine on IE11, and then we can discount any app if there's a functional analogue. "Not enough apps" is never a legitimate complaint or even answer.

Just looking at the basics, though--no Blue Stacks on Windows RT, no GPS--the Surface does not fit the OP's use case because his priorities do not include MS Office and other admin-side utilities or Flash-enabled web browser. He should stick with an Android tablet.

If "not enough apps" is never the answer, then what was the demise of Web OS :p

oion

If "not enough apps" is never the answer, then what was the demise of Web OS :p

That was worded poorly. :p I meant answer as in why Surface isn't "good enough" to get in the general sense. Web OS ... didn't come with The Killer App. Or a web browser (not sure if it did). The use cases are simply different. The answer for not buying a Surface if your priorities are like the OP's isn't that there "aren't enough apps," but simply that it doesn't fit one's use case, because a Surface has significant functionality straight out of the box without installing a single app out of the store.

beman39

Btw the reason for the demise of WebOS wasn't because of lack of apps, but because HP purchased WebOS (touchpad) and then decided to ABANDON it and shelve it, if HP would have backed up WebOS and continued to run with it then there would be a lot more apps for it... apparently it had alot of potential from what I read on the touchpad forums (WebOS)

and as for pouncing on the OP I don't think anyone pounced on him per say and I find people nowadays so touchy when people are just speaking their minds and just speaking in general.... keeping it real sorta lol so stop being so touchy...

Now as for this android crap, it icks me to no ends when someone goes out and buys a windows device and then wants to put android stuff on it or apple stuff, why not just stick to android/apple devices if that's what you want? It isn't difficult! and as for MS store not having alot of apps is just no longer relevant as there is tons of stuff now, and like someone else has pointed out that android/apple has 3 years or more on the Surface so of course there isn't a million apps, but lets be honest HOW MANY BLOODY APPS DO YA NEED? lol when I had my android devices there were SOOO many bad apps it wasn't funny and not enjoyable... if there is apps that are needed and not available why not write the developer and ask to port it to windows device! I'm sure you probably won't be the only one if it is really a useful app others will probably be asking for it too! so give MS a chance to catch up and be patient :wink: