What's new

Anniversary Update on Surface 3 - Y / N ?

stlbud

For me, at least, updates to my Surface 3 have been kind of hit-or-miss. One update screwed up the sound, another WiFi, another the dock with an external monitor. Now the "Anniversary Update" is coming along with a massive patch following immediately. I'm wondering if I should wait a week or so before I update.

Does anyone have personal experience with the latest Insider Update on a Surface 3? Tablet function is critical.

Thanks,

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've run Insider Fast on all of my machines including my S3 and all is working well with the AU Build we received...

nnthemperor

just instilled the anniversary updates on my SB. I'm on the release preview ring. Quite early. Haven't played with it yet.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me, at least, updates to my Surface 3 have been kind of hit-or-miss. One update screwed up the sound, another WiFi, another the dock with an external monitor. Now the "Anniversary Update" is coming along with a massive patch following immediately. I'm wondering if I should wait a week or so before I update.

Does anyone have personal experience with the latest Insider Update on a Surface 3? Tablet function is critical.

Thanks,
It's not worse than 8.1. The Audio, Wifi, Video drivers have been stepping on each other ever since the SP4 release and they started monkeying with drivers. when it happens, uninstall them in Device manager and that usually straightens it out for a while, repeat often as necessary. I'm currently running my S3 with the audio drivers disabled in device manager and that seems to have cut down on the frequency of problems. Otherwise a couple times a week any random video or ad may trigger a black screen with artifacts and if you touch the screen in the lower right quarter it makes a sound every time you touch it (both 8.1 & 10). I suspect this has a common cause deeper than drivers.

OP
S

stlbud

The ads on this page before I logged in, just now, were inappropriate for the age group this site is intended to cover and NSFW.

Plantje

With regards to the upgrade: definitely yes! I have installed the Insider Preview on my S3, Lumia 950 and Lumia 930 as soon as it got to (what used to be) RTM. On my desktop I am running Insider Fast ring since they started offering the insider program. It's safe for your S3 in its current state.

With regards to the ads: depends on your surfing behavior I guess. I just see ads pointing me to travel agencies indicating I should perhaps take a break

Turbo4AWD

Based on my experience I say a resounding YES. Huge performance improvements. Haven't had sound issues or crashes yet, but that bug where the lock screen image goes to a solid color instead is back. I'm loving the speeeeeeed though! Came out of nowhere!!

Plantje

Funny, I have the issue that the lock screen image goes to a solid colour as well on my Surface 3, but not on my desktop. Both run the latest Insider Preview version (which basically is the AU)

nnthemperor

Funny, I have the issue that the lock screen image goes to a solid colour as well on my Surface 3, but not on my desktop. Both run the latest Insider Preview version (which basically is the AU)
That happens on my HPEN8, but not my SB

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

R1nzler

Yes. The biggest thing is that Microsoft edge now supports extensions. Edge is the fastest browser by far on the Surface 3, in my opinion. The problem was, ad heavy webpages would severly slow it down, making chrome a better option.

Now with Edge + Adblock Plus, it screams compared to the other browsers.