What's new

Annoying Pen Issue !

Redski

Hi all, hope you're well.

Had my SP4 for a few weeks now and love it, been absolutely brilliant ... until yesterday when it started to do something really annoying in OneNote.

To date, then pen has only ever produced the small dot which I like & find useful.

However, yesterday it switched (unsure why as I haven't triggered it as far as I'm aware, or updated anything) it's started showing the Cross Hairs and Mouse Arrow whenever the pen is close to the screen / writing which is really, really off putting and distracting from what I'm penning / drawing.

I've search the forum & other forums and all I can seem to find on this is either ; in Devices > Pen > Show Cursor > Untick or Control Panel > Pen > Show Cursor then tick box to turn off.

I've turned that setting off in both places, but the issue still persists !

Please, can someone help me ? I am probably missing something super obvious - so please end my ignorance !

Really appreciate all / any help ...

Thanks,

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Redski

It's a touch annoying, but rest assured, you're not the only one. It's been happening to me in the onenote app (but not desktop onenote).

Interestingly I just had a look again, and it's working normally. I'm not sure if the issue is just being intermittent, or that the new insider build I installed yesterday fixed it.

OP
R

Redski

Hi Hughlle ... thanks for the swift response, appreciated.

Ah OK ... so its a standard issue for everyone then ; rather than something I've inadvertently triggered ?

Any tips on how to make it go away would be hugely appreciated as its driving me bananas ! The large Cross Hair & Mouse Arrow really detract focus away from what you're trying to do - as opposed to the really neat, helpful dot.

Is there another Notation App I can use where this isn't an issue ? I see Windows Ink doesn't allow me to save documents so that was what moved me from that - to One Note.

Cheers, as always

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know if it the case for everybody. Every machine is setup slightly differently, so there are countless instances on this forum of some people experiencing one issue, many others not experiencing it.

I honestly have no idea how you would go about resolving it. Mine seems to have done it al on its own (whether this was due to an insider build update I do not know).

Which version of onenote are you using?

OP
R

Redski

It's showing as version 17.7571.57651.0 - although that is a crazy iteration of a version number !

Is that the latest version ?

I've clicked on Search for Updates and the SP4 is telling me I'm all up to date ...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's showing as version 17.7571.57651.0 - although that is a crazy iteration of a version number !

Is that the latest version ?

I've clicked on Search for Updates and the SP4 is telling me I'm all up to date ...

Sorry, I should have been clearer. What I meant was are you using the app (mobile) version, or the full blown desktop version which normally comes with the microsoft office package. I was only experiencing the issue with the mobile version of onenote.

OP
R

Redski

Ah OK, apologies. I'm just using the version that was on the standard install on the SP4 when I bought it & fired it up. I haven't installed Microsoft Office on it, so I assume that means I'm on the app (mobile) version and potentially why I'm experiencing the issue - right ?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah OK, apologies. I'm just using the version that was on the standard install on the SP4 when I bought it & fired it up. I haven't installed Microsoft Office on it, so I assume that means I'm on the app (mobile) version and potentially why I'm experiencing the issue - right ?

Yes, that would be the mobile version then. As above though, while I only experienced it on the mobile app, and not desktop version, it is not to say that that is how it may be for everyone. Might be worth a try though. In fact I've just checked the windows feedback hub and this problem has been reported and upvoted by others, and also states that it only occurs in the mobile app.

The issue aside, I would highly suggest getting yourself a copy of desktop onenote if you frequently use it. The features it offers blows the mobile app out of the water, and that is an understatement.