What's new

Antivirus for Surface Pro

Ashles

Are you putting antivirus software on your Pro? If so, which one do you find best?
I have used AVG free in the past and have had no problems (so far, touch wood...)

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Windows8 has MS Defender as a AV-Solution from start, so there's no real need for an external solution, except you'll have to deal with a huge amount of malware/virus, but then again i would opt for a paid solution.

OP
A

Ashles

Windows8 has MS Defender as a AV-Solution from start, so there's no real need for an external solution, except you'll have to deal with a huge amount of malware/virus, but then again i would opt for a paid solution.

Do you think MS Defender is adequate for normal usage? Or would you use a third party?

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
I've been using since 2 Years and although some tests saw it at the lower end (while other more on middle-high), i'm perfectly satisfied, because it's not so annoying like Avira, AVG or Kapersky. But if you'll have to deal with malware/virus on a more regular basis, like working as IT-Guy or surfing bad bad websites ( ;) ), i would go for a paid instead of a free solution and accept, that this will slow down my pc. As i'm aware/up-to-date about the most common treats, i'm fine with Defender/Security Essentials.

OnTheSurface

Microsoft Security Essentials. Effective and light weight. And most importantly, free!

In my 25 years of using PCs I have NEVER gotten a virus, not even a runny nose. More often than not, I feel like there are certain people that will never have enough software or smarts to avoid getting viruses.

bosamar

I've used Microsoft Security Essentials in the past on all my Windows PCs and never had a problem. It all depends on what part of the internet you enjoy going to. If you only go to Trusted Sites then MSE is fine. If you are a thrill seeker and go to torrent sites then I suggest you get a third party program like Norton.

GreatWindows

You can get the best car insurance or the best roll cage for your car........But if you drive like an idiot you will crash.

Same thing follows with a PC lol, ive been using Windows for YEARS and i have never gotten a virus, maybe ive been lucky?.....but anyways im happy with windows defender.

Kiwibru

ESET NOD32 has been my standard for years. Runs with a small footprint, does not interfere with Win MSE and highly rated. A two year sub is a real value.

voodooevil

I have used many different ones.
My bit defender just expired....loved it.
For 2 weeks I have been using webroot antivirus/firewall. I think its great. I like it because it does not have features I'll never use like cloud storage, parental controls Etc. Try the trial and you will see how well it works...
Joe

HD_Dude

All the products mentioned here are excellent. I recently posted that I used Avast for years, but dropped it because they starting interrupting my work with too many intrusive popups.

I'm using Defender now. Perfectly happy.