What's new

Antivirus for Surface Pro

johnknee

I have been using Norton Internet Security for 10 years now and never got hit once with a virus. I know I know, it is a resource hog. But I am happy with it.

Nuspieds

Are you putting antivirus software on your Pro? If so, which one do you find best?
I have used AVG free in the past and have had no problems (so far, touch wood...)
Yes, of course! As I have always done for my PCs; the Surface Pro is no different.

For the longest while I was using Webroot, but sometime last year they introduced a new feature which ended up conflicting with my Clipboard utility (ClipMate). I reported the problem and based on their responses, they didn't put the effort into trying to replicate the problem.

I depend heavily on ClipMate so I ended switching to Norton Internet Security. Yes I was worried, because ages ago I used to run Norton and it has always been a resource hog. This time around I scanned the message boards and didn't see such issues, so I took the plunge! I'm glad I did, because it isn't a resource hog and I like it much better than the Webroot product.

Arizona Willie

Afy: friends don't let friends use NORTON.

Norton is a virus unto itself. It installs itself ALL OVER your computer and is remarkable difficult to get rid of.

I < NEVER > let Norton anywhere near one of my computers.

Amongst the paid one Norton is fairly good. Fairly unobtrusive and a small footprint.

Russ

Norton is a virus unto itself. It installs itself ALL OVER your computer and is remarkable difficult to get rid of.

Willie --

I don't think that's true anymore, but it was for a long time. I dropped Norton for that reason, and never went back. However, I read that Norton had heard the complaints and reduced the insidious footprint of the program. They also posted up a "Norton Removal Tool" to ease the pain of uninstalling it. I still haven't gone back, but at least I compliment them for their responsiveness.

Regards,
Russ

Nuspieds

I don't think that's true anymore, but it was for a long time. I dropped Norton for that reason, and never went back.
I have had it for quite some time now and I do not see that problem whatsoever. It was also the reason I left Norton and had I not experienced that conflict with Webroot, I would not have switched back, either.

But so far, definitely no regrets and I am preferring it.

machistmo

I have used many different ones.
My bit defender just expired....loved it.
For 2 weeks I have been using webroot antivirus/firewall. I think its great. I like it because it does not have features I'll never use like cloud storage, parental controls Etc. Try the trial and you will see how well it works...
Joe

New Egg was running this:

bitdefender Total Security 2013 - 3 PCs / 2 Years Software - Newegg.com

Not sure if its still available. I had a code that made it 19.99 - looking now. Promo Code: EMCYTZT3259 and free shipping.

Last edited:

phubai

If you check Frys.Com now and again, you can usually pick up security software free. Normally with a manufacturer rebate, so you pay up front, but in about 60 days, or that's been my experience, you will get your rebate. I used that for Kaspersky and again for BitDefender. I just purchased Webroot from them for $14.99 and it's licensed for 3 computers, Mac or PC (and I have both) and no rebate hassle involved. Seemed like a fair deal so... we'll see. I'll be putting it on the Surface Pro, initially anyway, to see how it does. I'm currently using the BitDefender Free product and I'm actually quite pleased with that. Hardly notice it's there (hope it is??!).

bit defender

If you check Frys.Com now and again, you can usually pick up security software free. Normally with a manufacturer rebate, so you pay up front, but in about 60 days, or that's been my experience, you will get your rebate. I used that for Kaspersky and again for BitDefender. I just purchased Webroot from them for $14.99 and it's licensed for 3 computers, Mac or PC (and I have both) and no rebate hassle involved. Seemed like a fair deal so... we'll see. I'll be putting it on the Surface Pro, initially anyway, to see how it does. I'm currently using the BitDefender Free product and I'm actually quite pleased with that. Hardly notice it's there (hope it is??!).

Im using it on both my surface pros with out any problems

phubai

Im using it on both my surface pros with out any problems

That's good to hear. So far, I like it and will be moving two other PCs to it as well. It's hardly noticeable yet has passed all of the tests I've thrown at it fine. I like their support as well. At least their forums as that's all I've looked at.