What's new

Antivirus help please

xJR619x

Hi All
Just got myself a brand new Surface 3 today, part of an early fathers day present and a also a gift from my lovely wife .(I'm very excited and happy lol)
Now its only the base model with 2gb ram and 64gb ssd but that's all we could stretch to.
What I want to know is are you using an Antivirus program/software as this is more like a laptop as it can use normal software and not locked like RT was.
If you are using Antivirus which one and does it impact on the speed and usability of the Surface 3.
I ask this as I know some AV software can be pretty power hungry and don't want to bogs my Surface 3 down.
Thanks so much for your time and trouble.
Kindest Regards
James..

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I only use Windows Defender and practice "Safe Computing"....you can look at the SP3 thread on the subject for a good discussion....

OP
xJR619x

xJR619x

Thanks all for your replies,I'm still unsure as whether to install Avast or whether to just use Win Defender and practice super safe computing.
Oh the turmoil of decisions

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
practice super safe computing.

Be sure to make frequent backups and keep them offline except while backing up or restoring. A friend of mine, who's almost paranoid in his online behavior, was recently hit by Cryptolocker. It encrypted his primary drive AND all six of his network drives. The bad guys sometimes "poison" a "safe"website, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7193993.stm, without the owner's knowledge

cliffr39

Agree with the above. Keep a good backup so you can restore your PC. I would go with a free AV (AVG or Avast) and be careful with your web browsing. If you find that it impacts your system performance you can always uninstall it and try out another free AV.

jds4300

Webroot on my Windows 8 desktop, laptop and Surface 3. Read the reviews on Webroot. GREAT REVIEWS. I have totally kicked Norton to the curb.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks all for your replies,I'm still unsure as whether to install Avast or whether to just use Win Defender and practice super safe computing.
Oh the turmoil of decisions

You can always just install it, and if you perceive it to be slowing your device down, uninstal it..

stammie

I'm another in the Windows Defender and safe computing camp,
however if I was to choose a paid anti virus solution I would use Webroot as its so lightweight, the closest free equivalent I'd go for would be Panda Free which again is very lightweight as like Webroot all its definitions are stored online rather than on your PC.