What's new

Antivirus software and surface 3

ONeill29

Hello

I have just buy a surface 3 and I would like to know if I need a other software to protect my surface . There is already Windows defender but it is enough ? I would like a free software which not slow down the computer!

Thanks for you answers
ONeill29

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using Defender Only for years, much of it depends on your computing habits. Practicing safe computer goes along way.

Bitdefender has had issues with blocking Windows Updates and MUI/Universal Apps in the past.

We have many threads on this subject, a search should get more answers.

WolfJT

I used to use defender but recently MS doesn't even suggest that you should. I changed to the free version of bitdefender and haven't looked back. Runs very well on my SP3

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using Surfaces since 2012 with the default Windows Defender, never an issue. If you frequent Dodgy Sites you may need an Industrial Strength AV solution. I occasionally scan with another product just to double check and nothing has ever been found (I do this regardless of what primary AV product I'm running).

I don't have any issues while my dad (who clicks on everything because he doesn't know what it is) and has run various products for his Primary AV solution is always getting toolbars installed, and dodgy crap although he's never had a virus or anything that's officially malware but some flagged as PUP (potentially unwanted program). Even with his Admin privileges revoked :)

So if you have gotten viruses you might want to be more careful ;)

I had other software but it actually blocked a lot of what the computer was built to do including using Microsoft Edge Web Browser...Defender had blocked a few issues and so far have not had any real issues. The sales reps in the Microsoft Store even say that Defender does enough and to add another actually riscks malware being stuck between the two programs (if that makes sense).