What's new

Any limit on Micro SD size?

BC3

Are there any limits on the SD size (as in 128GB) the Pro will accept? Thinking about buying a 128GB card and I want to make sure the Surface Pro will be able to utilize this size card.

drksilenc

jn you are correct the largest micro sd card you can get is 64GB. Also if you are buying locally from bestbuy or something dont forget to price match their sdcard to amazon.

RMansfield

I don't think the original question was really answered. Currently, the largest size card commercially available is 64 GB, but larger sizes are coming soon. I, too, wonder if the Surface will read a larger card--say a 128 or 256--without issue.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I'm fairly certain that you could potentially put in an 2TB Micro SDXC card and have no issues. (if and when they become available).
2TB microSDXC ? largest micro SDXC cardsr®

This is correct in theory SDXC supports up to 2TB (Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Of course reality may be different but I would expect 128,256 and 512 GB all to be within reasonable range that they should hopefully work. When we will actually see cards that big is a different question and you may not even be using this version of Surface any more. In the short term 128GB is reasonably likely to become available and work.

OP
B

BC3

I don't think the original question was really answered. Currently, the largest size card commercially available is 64 GB, but larger sizes are coming soon. I, too, wonder if the Surface will read a larger card--say a 128 or 256--without issue.

Thank you for the clarification - this was the intent of my question. I guess I should have clarified that I'm looking to buy a 128GB once it becomes available (speculation is by YE) and want to ensure hardware limitations exist. Nice to know I can use it, once it becomes available.

Wow, theoretically 2TB. That might be over kill but would certainly silence the Surface Pro storage critics.

Last edited:

RMansfield

I'd love to have storage that large in such a small footprint. My iTunes library is over 500 GB and I can no longer keep it on the internal hard drive on my main laptop. I have to plug in a portable 1 TB drive. But it would be awesome to just keep it all on a MicroSD card plugged in at all times.

mitchellvii

As big as your imagination...

tumblr_ldr6p9Qi2M1qek863o1_500.gif

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Theoretically the SDXC size limit is 2TB. Of course you will have to wait for cards to get that big to confirm ;) As RMansfield pointed out you can't even get 128GB at he moment let alone 2TB.