What's new

Any recommendatio for a User ID/Password Manager for Modern UI IE?

Nuspieds

Since Windows 8.1 and the improved handling of IE Favorites, I an now more drawn to use the Modern UI version of IE.

However, I use and have always used a fingerprint reader (on the SP it is obviously external, but on my ThinkPad, it was internal) with an app that allows me to register my User ID and password to apps and web sites so that I can then swipe my finger at their login/password screens.

Presently, I'm using Protector Suite and it works great with Desktop IE, but certainly not Modern UI IE. All I have to do with Protector Suite and Desktop IE is swipe my finger when the login page is presented. Much as I would love to have the exact same functionality, I am ready to accept a less automated approach using Modern UI IE. That is, I'm perfectly happy to accept a Modern UI solution that would, for example, require the User ID/Password Modern UI App to be running split-screen with Modern UI IE and when I click on a button in the User ID/Password Modern UI App, it would send the User ID and Password info to Modern UI IE.

Does anyone have any recommendations for such an app?

I love Modern UI IE and being able to swipe back and forth, but there's no doubt that the simplicity of logging in to websites using my fingerprint reader with Desktop IE is what makes it edge out using Modern UI IE.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

demandarin

I use msecure. Not sure if it can do the thing you state. But you can enter in the website in that section details. Then one click copy and one click link to website.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Thanks...and I like how it launches IE.

But in the end, though, it's faster for to type in my User ID and Password than to have to click on each field to copy to clipboard then click on the IE field to paste.

EMINENT

Why not save to IE?

I have been using Last Pass for years and it's great. Now, saving to IE is much easier.

kristalsoldier

Why not save to IE?

I have been using Last Pass for years and it's great. Now, saving to IE is much easier.

I agree. Especially on the Surface 2/RT, this is an easy solution and very risky, I think (though I stand to be corrected on this).

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Why not save to IE?

I am very security-minded and browsers are notorious for being hacked and having vulnerabilities. I definitely do not want to save my password in IE.

mkilci

+1 Lastpass. Been using for 2 years. Keeps getting better. Compatible with multiborwser and Android and Iphone apps are also great...

hotphil

I don't think what you're after is possible - IE is very locked down in Modern UI.

I use RoboForm which I quite like. My work uses LastPass, but it's unusable if you have more than a few dozen logins and its Modern UI app will only show you the first few items if you have them neatly in folders.

OP
Nuspieds

Nuspieds

Thanks for the LastPass referral and it certainly looks interesting.

But while testing it out, I noticed that I had to launch LastPass then click on my links in its vault in order for it to pre-populate my User ID and Password fields. Remember that I'm using this only for the Modern UI IE browser. The problem is that although LastPass opens up a browser session within its app, it is not a true IE session in that I have the full Modern UI IE features (e.g., multiple tabs, favorites, etc.).

Ideally, I'm looking to see it integrate somehow with Modern UI IE so that I/it can launch Modern UI IE to get to my website, which allows me to have full Modern UI IE functionality. I looked at the intro videos on their site and it seems like for the Desktop IE, that's the way it works (seems like a header message appears in Desktop IE and then you can click on a button to fill out the fields); thus, the fact that you're still in Desktop IE means that you have the full Desktop IE experience. This is what I'm looking for in the Modern UI IE.

So, did I misunderstand or miss something? Or is this how Modern UI LastPass works?

Thanks!

hotphil

You've understood correctly. IE in Modern UI supports no add-ons, toolbars etc. It's locked down. Hence LastPass and other password vault apps have their own browser.

EMINENT

Actually, if you have Last Pass snapped with IE open, when you select your site to view in browser, it will open in IE.