What's new

Any Risks Updating to Intel 4400 Drivers?

hksrb25s14

I've Updated So Far I'm Loving it, But Is There Risks of Updating to Intel's Graphic Drivers? Has Anyone ran into problems?
Will it kill my Surface Pro 2? Will it shorten the life of the pro? I ran Crysis 3 and the Fan went on, louder then usual, is it normal?
Sorry i'm just ask these questions just incase someone like me is debating.

Zuldan

I've Updated So Far I'm Loving it, But Is There Risks of Updating to Intel's Graphic Drivers? Has Anyone ran into problems?
Will it kill my Surface Pro 2? Will it shorten the life of the pro? I ran Crysis 3 and the Fan went on, louder then usual, is it normal?
Sorry i'm just ask these questions just incase someone like me is debating.

I don't know the answer to your question but can you tell us if your FPS has increased? EG before the update you had 35fps and after the update it went to 45fps?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Your biggest risk is that the generic Intel Drivers could impact you battery life and produce more heat.

demandarin

For someone who uses pro to game also, the tradeoff is well worth the small hit in battery life. With my pro1, I can't really notice a difference battery wise. But I do notice the increased performance gaming wise. My fans aren't louder than normal. Crisis 3 is a demanding game so id expect it to push the device pretty well. So the fans will cut on to reduce heat or bring down temps.

If in doubt, just roll back to regular MS custom drivers. I haven't had any issues. Same thing with Marvell WiFi and BT driver. I updated to the same one used in latest pro2 update that brought increased battery life. No problems at all.

I like to push the devices to see what its capable of. But nothing wrong with playing it safe. If truly worried, just stick with MS updates. But you will lose full functionality of the HD Graphics control panel. This is an expensive device so I know the feeling of being hesitant. But I research everything before making any manual modifications.