What's new

Any way to avoid Automatic Updates?

Mr.whiskers

Hey everyone,

So everything was working just fine until I manually updated windows defender (I have yet to download the February update), and now whenever I try to go in the internet, I get a message from my school telling me that I will be quarantined until I set my computer to automatically install and download windows updates. Personally I'd really like to avoid risking the up date since I don't have any problems right now, but do you guys think there is any way to work around this?

Philtastic

As of the February update, I'd say most of the major problems are worked out. I can only speak from my experience but it seems like the battery report issues, automatic booting, and battery drain from failing to auto-hibernate have all been fixed. I have installed all updates (missed the faulty Dec. firmware, however, on this unit) and I'm pretty satisfied with how it runs now.

benjitek

You should talk to the systems administrative department at your school, they'd be best equipped to answer questions specific to their network.

OP
M

Mr.whiskers

Thank all for the replies! I guess I'll talk with my school and hope for the best. Fingers crossed you won't see any posts here about faulty updates!

GoodBytes

If you choose to do the February firmware update. To ensure a problem free install.
Be sure that your battery is charged at 100%, and that you are plugged in, before install and restarting the system.

bluegrass

Hey everyone,

So everything was working just fine until I manually updated windows defender (I have yet to download the February update), and now whenever I try to go in the internet, I get a message from my school telling me that I will be quarantined until I set my computer to automatically install and download windows updates. Personally I'd really like to avoid risking the up date since I don't have any problems right now, but do you guys think there is any way to work around this?

First off, you should not be concerned about Defender updates. That is one update you should do daily. Microsoft sometimes even released more than on Defender update in a day. You could turn automatic updates on an off at your will. You could just turn it on when your working on the school domain and turn it off when you're not.

OP
M

Mr.whiskers

bluegrass, that's a good idea, however, I live at school so I don't really have that option.

But thank you all, it looks like I'm going have to change my settings to automatic updates, then I'll reboot it and hope for the best from there! I'll let you know how it goes.