What's new

Any way to improve send to onenote?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I experienced this in the past, but on office 2016 or it might just be because of the sp4, its gotten unbearable.

Importing a pdf to onenote is just awful. I dont understand what is going on. It takes me upto 25 minutes to import a 40 page pdf of a black and white powerpoint, making it hugely inconvenient. I can duplicate this every time when importing pdf powerpoints. Howevere, i can import a 600 page pdf text book, full of colour, annotations, drawings etc in about 3 minutes.

It seems pretty bizarre

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The difference is likely the "markup" details of the .pdf file from PowerPoint, providing color, font, graphics, and dimensional information. Of these, the text itself usually is the smallest contributor to .pdf file size.

OneNote tries to honor all the instructions for displaying of the material, and so must read through and process all those instructions.

Fortunately, PowerPoint provides options to create less detailed .pdf files, which retain all the text, but keep only the most important graphic instructions. Usually smaller files, too.

Try using these options, if you are the author of the .pdf .

Screenshot (29).png

Screenshot (30).png

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That makes sense, to a degree. however the pdf derived from a powerpoint is about 1mb, the textbook is 10mb. Size doesnt seem to be the key factor.