What's new

Any way to scroll using the pen?

CreativeLemming

I suspect not, but is there any way of using the pen to scroll (other than using scrollbars) when in tablet mode using the pen? I know you can always use your fingers, but touch input is disabled when the pen is nearby so something like clicking the button to drag and scroll would be really nice.

Is there some setting that I haven't found, or just not possible?

InkyRag

Yes. You can just flick the pen either up or down in the window you are wanting to scroll. You should start the downward (or upward) movement before touching the screen only brushing the screen with the pen tip. This motion will start the screen scrolling. To stop it just tap it with the pen tip. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

Last edited:
OP
C

CreativeLemming

Thanks, but that works for some desktop apps (windows explorer, control panel etc) but not for any 'interface formerly known as metro' apps such as mail, internet explorer (nor the desktop version of internet explorer). Seems like the desktop's using the old pen input paradigm which hasn't been transferred top the modern UI. Or maybe it's just me...

It doesn't seem to be working in Google Chrome on the desktop. The "scroll" icon shows up when I flick with the pen, though. Page just doesn't move.

MickeyLittle

Thanks, but that works for some desktop apps (windows explorer, control panel etc) but not for any 'interface formerly known as metro' apps such as mail, internet explorer (nor the desktop version of internet explorer). Seems like the desktop's using the old pen input paradigm which hasn't been transferred top the modern UI. Or maybe it's just me...

This is sure a feature that I miss on my Note 10.1 with Android. I would love to see Windows 8.1 catch up in this 1 area as with the Note I could actually go for a whole day if I wanted without ever using a finger to touch the screen.

Edistobob

I scroll using the desktop Chrome with the pen by placing the pen on the scroll bar at the far right of the screen, and then dragging it up or down.

GoodBytes

If you have Firefox, you can use Grab and Drop extension. That is what I use. works really well.
You can also get the same style of zoom and scroll with "Pinch-to-Zoom and Double-tap Gesture Support", but doesn't work really well... worth a look however.

Grab and Drop: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/grab-and-drag/?src=search
Pinch-to-Zoom and Double-tap Gesture Support: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/pinch-to-zoom-and-double-ta/?src=search

Oh and you get to enjoy improved battery life, as Firefox, like IE, have more efficient engines, making it consumes less CPU power, which results an increase battery life (every single review site confirms this. For best battery life, use something else... Use Chrome on your desktop, unless you are always plugged in, then that is fine). Chrome, as much as good it is, doesn't care about efficiency (not in a bad way). It draws the web page the fastest as possible without considering anything, which is why Chrome is awesomely fast. But it doesn't support animated PNG's, or even color managed images (Is Your Browser Color Managed?), as those require additional processing time.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Pen flicks while still listed in the Control Panel has been severely deprecated by the new Ink/Touch API and there is no support for it in the Modern UI.

OP
C

CreativeLemming

Thanks for the input everybody, sounds like there' no consistent way of doing things here so will live with how things are. Cheers!

MickeyLittle

Thanks for the input everybody, sounds like there' no consistent way of doing things here so will live with how things are. Cheers!

You'll get used to it. I was both a gen 1 and gen 2 Note 10.1 user and it did take me a couple of weeks to stop trying to drag different screens around with the pointer but it's normal to use my finger now.

Hi there all , i am still unable to use flicks , i have enabled them in control panel pen but can only do the flicks in practice flicks , while in internet explorer and window explorer it doesn't seems to work on my pro2. Please help if you know some way.