What's new

Anyone else disturbed by the default update torrent setup?

I had a couple of my consultants (we issue SP3's to the consultants) blow through their data on their wifi 4G modems since the installation of Windows 10. It was only after a bit of investigation that we discovered the default setting under Windows Updates - Advanced Options - Choose How updates are delivered where it is defaulted to go to all PC's instead of only PC's on your network.

Whilst I understand (and like) what Microsoft has done with this, I'm a little unappreciative of the fact that this was switched on by default to all (i.e. pc's on the internet and not just on your network). For most of the consultant's using wifi 4G modems, we've discovered the usage due to this little headache has actually been pretty heavy. Whilst you can set a device to be a mobile device, wifi devices aren't set to this by default.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can see why the average person would not know of this, but it was plastered all over every tech blog and news site upon the roll out so I was very much aware that I might wish to turn it off.

I can see why it would be annoying though. I can only tether 4gb a month and would be annoyed if something (in not going to let my Xbox anywhere near my tethered connection!) Eating it all up in a day or so.

Yeah. My guess is 99% of users don't scour tech blogs. I chatted to about 10 people in our project office today who were running Windows 10. None of them were aware of it and all of them were pretty unimpressed about it.

It's a great feature but I just think it was a mistake to switch on by default.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder how long it will take hackers to infect updates to distribute with this solution. 99, 98, 97 ...