What's new

Anyone else get the old Pro charger with their Pro 2?

Odyssey

This might sound a little arbitrary, but I was pretty excited that they redesigned the charging cable for the Pro 2 (with the new shape and light), but lo and behold, my pro 2 comes with the old charger with the one light on one side. Did anyone else get the old charger?

hypokondriak

This might sound a little arbitrary, but I was pretty excited that they redesigned the charging cable for the Pro 2 (with the new shape and light), but lo and behold, my pro 2 comes with the old charger with the one light on one side. Did anyone else get the old charger?

I got a different style charger with my Surface 2 but it is defective. It has to be shifted several times before it chargers, and then it flickers and completely cuts out if the cable movies slightly. Luckily I have several Pro chargers but I will have to warranty this tomorrow.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Deryl McCarty

both my SP 128 and now SP2 256 have the same charger...model 1536 with the first 7 digits of the serial number the same (0C130T0). Both charge my SP2 and SP fine, if slowly, but if that is not the charger promised in the box then I will likely go to the MS Store in Bellevue and exchange. However, it is possible that the 48 watt charger is the upgrade and not included in the price of the Pro 2 - though going back to the store it does say a 48 comes with the Pro 2.

ALLCAPS

Is there an issue with the old charger design when used with a new Surface? I didn't even know this problem existed. It looks like I have the old charger too, though it charges the surface quickly. I ran mine down playing/testing games and it charged it to full in around two and a half hours.

Deryl McCarty

I did not have any problems with the old charger either. And would not know to ask the question except that someone asked the question. Ah well

jamesk

What does the new charger look like and does anyone have a model #? My SP2 256gb came with the old charger as well...

drolem

Even though the cable and the housing may have been changed, the old and new chargers are functionally identical and fully interchangeable, so if your new charger looks like the old one, that is correct.

Remember, the only significant change between SP1 and SP2 is the newer CPU and chipset, plus the availability of more memory and bigger SSDs, The SP2 should consume slightly less power, BTW.

deldalton

I'm at work and I don't have my SP2 with me. But, I'm going to have a look at my charger when I get home. I just read on the Microsoft Store that it offers an additional USB charging port. I didn't see that on my charger yesterday evening. Of course, I wasn't looking for it though because I didn't know it was meant to have existed.

Can anyone confirm whether your charger has a USB charging port on it?