What's new

Anyone else get the old Pro charger with their Pro 2?

sillyrabbitt123

I'm at work and I don't have my SP2 with me. But, I'm going to have a look at my charger when I get home. I just read on the Microsoft Store that it offers an additional USB charging port. I didn't see that on my charger yesterday evening. Of course, I wasn't looking for it though because I didn't know it was meant to have existed.

Can anyone confirm whether your charger has a USB charging port on it?

yes mine has a usb charging port.

jamesk

Both the old and new have the USB port. The new charger has a redesigned connector (the magnetic peice that attaches to the surface) and the charging light is supposed to be a ring around the plug instead of just a dot at the tip so you can see the charging status at any angle.

Ruffles

Both the old and new have the USB port. The new charger has a redesigned connector (the magnetic peice that attaches to the surface) and the charging light is supposed to be a ring around the plug instead of just a dot at the tip so you can see the charging status at any angle.

Can you confirm the SP2 gets the new charger and not just the S2? The chargers for my SP and SP2 look identical and both have the single light on the end of the connector. In another thread, someone said the light turns green when charged but neither of mine do that. They are blue/white all the time.

CrownSeven

I think it may only be for the S2. In Paul Thurott's review of the new S2 you can see the power connector here:

s2-07.jpg

deldalton

Personally, I prefer the old charger with the dot on the top ... ;)
(Unless, of course, there's a major difference in performace)

Deryl McCarty

The model 1536 that I got with the SP2 did not come with anything new or different on it. The head that connects to the tablet is the same as on my SP128 a single center "dot" light to indicate charge in progress. And of course, my dot is on the bottom (LOL) since I install the charger connector so that the wire does not conflict with the MDP video cable I use to connect to my home large screen monitor (well, not very large, but you get the point.) I guess the whole point is that if we didn't get what we were promised and paid for we should start bringing the 1536's into the store for substitution. But this is pretty low priority for me since I have not been particularly unhappy with the old charger, but it is a pain to install and impossible in the dark. (I know, part of that is fat fingers, but...)

mitchellvii

I believe the new connector has a stronger magnet in it. That is probably in the Surface itself but the connector may also be made of something slightly different. When i was in the store the new style connector required quite a tug to pull it out as opposed to the original which fell out if you looked at it funny.

killervette666

I got the old style charger as well. I think the new charger is for the Surface 2 only. I feel like in a lot of ways they devoted all their time to improving the Surface 2 but did just under the hood changes with the SP2. They should have at least offered the SP2 in that sweet magnesium color.

MoggSquad

My SP2 came in last night. My charger doesn't even have a dot light indicator like my RT1 did. I'm kinda upset about it especially since it didn't charge last night.

deldalton

My SP2 came in last night. My charger doesn't even have a dot light indicator like my RT1 did. I'm kinda upset about it especially since it didn't charge last night.

Both types of the charger have a light on them. The old charger has a dot on one end. The new charger has a ring around it. So, that might suggest that your charger or the device is broken (or that it wasn't switched on at the mains).

I chatted with Tech Support and they said only the Surface 2 has the redesigned charger...

My SP2 came with the old type charger. But, if jamesk is correct then that's not a problem.