What's new

Anyone else noticed the fans & heat from SP2 a lot more recently? Poss since update?

_moore

The last few days I've noticed the fans turning on and actually getting pretty loud. The SP2 is also getting quite warm sometimes.

This is while plugged in or on battery, sitting on a desk or while I'm holding as a tablet on my lap. Just doing web browsing and emails etc, nothing demanding.

I'm not sure I ever heard the fans before. Wondering if it is something to do with the latest updates and if there's a reason and fix?

Thanks,

Andrew

mtalinm

I haven't noticed fans, but I have noticed that my external monitors routinely go AWOL since the last update.

GoodBytes

Nope. My Surface Pro 2 is cool and quiet as before. I play CIv 5 on it in the bus for an hour, fan still doesn't kick-in, and at work when programming on it, the same.
Of course the same in class as well. Battery life is the same.

My guess is that you use something CPU intensive running on the back. Look in the task manager what consumes your CPU.

Korlon

really? I play civ5 on the bus as well and the fans kick in a few minutes after game play. by 15 minutes they are turning full blast.

GoodBytes

really? I play civ5 on the bus as well and the fans kick in a few minutes after game play. by 15 minutes they are turning full blast.
It only does if I am plugged in. Oh, I am using Power Saver profile.
Then again, maybe I am not hearing the fan due the sound of the bus.

Nuspieds

The last few days I've noticed the fans turning on and actually getting pretty loud. The SP2 is also getting quite warm sometimes.

This is while plugged in or on battery, sitting on a desk or while I'm holding as a tablet on my lap. Just doing web browsing and emails etc, nothing demanding.

I'm not sure I ever heard the fans before. Wondering if it is something to do with the latest updates and if there's a reason and fix?

Thanks,

Andrew
For me, yes, since one of the recent updates my fans have been turn on and also very loud. :(

This never happened before and what I use and how I use my SP2 haven't changed, so I'm definitely convinced it is the result of one of the updates.

GoodBytes

All I can think about, for those who have the problem is:
-> A software you use got updated and is more system intensive (Chrome?)
-> Intel integrated graphics drivers got updated. Check out the driver control panel (newly added), and make sure that things are setup properly. These are my settings (a video I did which covers how to disable all color banding/dynamic contrast ratio, for best picture quality on the screen): GoodBytes Intel settings
-> Ensure that your fan are clean. Perhaps blowing a bit of air through the air holes will help.
-> Summer is coming if you are in the northern hemisphere, so temperature is warmer where you are, so the device gets warmer, especially if you don't have AC and it's hot already where you are. Although, I don't think it's a problem if you are in the state or Canada, I think we are all... enjoying... this extended winter.

be77solo

I'd check Task Manager as well and see what CPU/Disk usage is... on mine, everything is cool, but I randomly get 20-30% CPU usage and then the back heats up. Might be something similar... see if there are any programs using CPU cycles or disk activity. This would be the only reason you should see this unless you'd developed a weird hardware problem, which I doubt.

I can report no difference after the March updates.

By comparison, when gaming (Civ 5 included) I do get the fan kicking in, that is normal. CPU temps will creep up to 80C and back gets quite warm/hot in some games, which is also normal.

grumpy

Hey grumpy, excuse my ignorance, but what am I looking for in the task manager?

Check to see if some process is excessively using the CPU. I had an issue with the system process periodically running at 20%-30% for no apparent reason (unrelated to the SD card issues), which caused my SP2 to heat up and drained the battery. After some investigation, I found that disabling the memory diagnostic tasks "solved" my problem (or at least the annoying symptom of an underlying problem).