What's new

anyone else noticed the pro emitting humming noise?

lx93

I have had my pro for over a week now, and has been quite satisfied with it so far except one thing. while using it in a quiet room, there is a constant humming noise coming out from top of the machine where the vent is. its very high pitched and subtle and is only audible in a quiet setting. it sounds like electricity circuit humming. also, the noise can be picked up by the internal mic while using Skype.

my surface rt is completely quiet compare to pro. even my MacBook pro is quieter. reading reviews online most commented surface pro is quiet, so that makes me wonder if I have a defective unit. does anyone noticed the similar high-pitched humming noise coming out from the machine?

souldier

That's perfectly normal. The surface has built in fans. That is what you are hearing. I highly doubt that your unit is defective. I hear the same noise. I consider the surface pretty quiet nonetheless. Hope it won't bother you too much

zhenya

I don't think what he is talking about is fan noise but rather a high frequency noise emitted by the electronics. If I put my ear up to mine, I have noticed the same thing. I can't hear it under normal conditions though, and it is not as loud as the similar noise made by my ThinkPad.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I don't think what he is talking about is fan noise but rather a high frequency noise emitted by the electronics. If I put my ear up to mine, I have noticed the same thing. I can't hear it under normal conditions though, and it is not as loud as the similar noise made by my ThinkPad.

I agree, this is very common for all computers but is usually quite enough to not be noticed I haven't listened to a Pro specifically but it does not surprised me. ARM tablets usually don't have these sounds because everything is solid state and the processor runs at much lower power but pretty much every laptop will have this if you listen closely enough.

hifilistener

I noticed the same thing. The sound is a close call between an electric ''errrrrr'' sound and a noise fan bearing. The fan towards the right side its noticeable at the top... in a quiet room or if you put your ear up to it.

Here's my post from support.microsoft.com

When the surface gets amped up and the fans kick up ONLY. I am noticing that (facing the touch screen) the fan on the right is louder than the one on the left. The fan up close makes more of a buzzing sound than the one on the right. Right between the camera and the power switch. I guess the reason I am so paranoid about this is because I am so concerned about this device and overheating. I am worried that fan is gonna **** the bed already. Can anyone help me out and take a listen to their pro when it gets heated up a bit? SORRY I know it sounds nuts but like I said.. thanks again!