What's new

Anyone else noticing some odd SP behavior of late?

mitchellvii

The last few days my SP has been behaving strangely in some ways.

1) Updates never seem to install properly the first time. I get the dreaded "update failure" message but then the system shows the update as installed.
2) In some MODERN UI apps like "News Bento", all of the text on the page suddenly disappears leaving only pictures. If I scroll the text flashes but as soon as I take my finger from the screen the text disappears again.
3) My mouse cursor will disappear. I can see that it is still active on the screen but I can't see the cursor arrow. Only a reboot will fix this.
4) IE just hangs occasionally.
5) For an i5 system, things just feel sluggish. Web pages are slow to load, etc.
6) It feels like I am running out of memory, but with 4gb that really should not happen.

Anyway, it's just feeling generally not well. Anyone else having any issues? Seems that most of the problems occur after the system awakes from sleep mode.

dlacaba

Mine has seemed like this for a while. It loses it's appeal as a tablet because it's not something you pick up, check something and walk away. If you want to check out a food menu or directions, you gotta start up (8 seconds), enter password, start IE (10 seconds-2 min.... seriously?). Add to the fact that it doesn't always connect to wireless automatically and I end up using my iPad for quick queries now. I only use the Surface when I'm gonna be working for a while.

vinumsv

The last few days my SP has been behaving strangely in some ways.

1) Updates never seem to install properly the first time. I get the dreaded "update failure" message but then the system shows the update as installed.
2) In some MODERN UI apps like "News Bento", all of the text on the page suddenly disappears leaving only pictures. If I scroll the text flashes but as soon as I take my finger from the screen the text disappears again.
3) My mouse cursor will disappear. I can see that it is still active on the screen but I can't see the cursor arrow. Only a reboot will fix this.
4) IE just hangs occasionally.
5) For an i5 system, things just feel sluggish. Web pages are slow to load, etc.
6) It feels like I am running out of memory, but with 4gb that really should not happen.

Anyway, it's just feeling generally not well. Anyone else having any issues? Seems that most of the problems occur after the system awakes from sleep mode.

hmm i don't have any of issues mentioned try closing all non-essential apps and services running in the background

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you are seeing Firmware Upgrades or Hardware Updates fail it maybe due to the fact they contain updates to the Touch or Type Keyboard and if it isn't attached(or you don't own one) those fail.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well I don't think anything is physically wrong with my Surface Pro. More likely it is due to one of the numerous updates causing a conflict. As we have seen in the recent past, MS should probably do a bit more testing on some of these updates before pushing them out to the public.

I just ran Advanced System Care 6 and hopefully that rooted out and "ghosts in the machine" cause by carious updates and changes and things will work more smoothly now. We'll see.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

If you are seeing Firmware Upgrades or Hardware Updates fail it maybe due to the fact they contain updates to the Touch or Type Keyboard and if it isn't attached(or you don't own one) those fail.

No the keyboard is attach and they fail. Who knows? I'm not in the mood to do a full refresh to figure it out. They'll fix it eventually.

Talldog

I've been seeing #4 and #5, but on my Windows 8 desktop as well as on the SP. Maybe not SP-specific. I'm also noticing that when either creating or replying to a post on this forum, the Enter key doesn't work for carriage return in IE desktop (works fine in Metro). Again, both SP and Win8 desktop.

malberttoo

I have occasional issues with my mouse/trackpad/pointer becoming unresponsive, and almost always, a quick disconnect and reconnect of the Type Cover fixes the problem.

Other than that, I've had none of the issues of which you speak.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well I don't think anything is physically wrong with my Surface Pro. More likely it is due to one of the numerous updates causing a conflict. As we have seen in the recent past, MS should probably do a bit more testing on some of these updates before pushing them out to the public.

I just ran Advanced System Care 6 and hopefully that rooted out and "ghosts in the machine" cause by carious updates and changes and things will work more smoothly now. We'll see.

Ran Advanced System Care 6 and it seems to have made things a bit happier.

wvevie

I've had none of these issues. Also, since I use the SP almost exclusively at home and I'm really careful about it always being closeby wherever I take it, I have bypassed the damn annoying password-everytime-I-open-up thing.

DOS

For me, number 1 seems to be an issue with some apps... Although I don't get any errors, the install seems to hang forever.

dleuen

Yes I'm seeing entropy take over the device. The latest firmware upgrade said it failed but I thought it installed. My mouse freezes still, and it does feel more sluggish. It is unfortunate since this is an all Microsoft device for some reason I expected better and thought that MS would have wanted to take pride in a flawless user experience. I guess the lesson here is the Surface Pro is just another PC and it is still running Windows and all its bugs and baggage.