What's new

Anyone else noticing some odd SP behavior of late?

Russ

Lol, interesting observations considering this is the FIRST time I have ever mentioned dropping wifi connections anywhere in this forum.

Maybe the fact you are using a prehistoric DSL connection is the reason yours does not drop? It acts like packet loss to me rather than actual connection drop. Since the dataflow on a cable connection is so much faster than snail DSL it would make sense that you would not be experiencing problems while someone with a modern system like myself does.

Mitchell --

Sorry, bad assumption on my part. Just figured it had to be part of your repertoire.

As to my "prehistoric DSL," it's kinda like the old joke about "bad luck." If I didn't have prehistoric DSL, I wouldn't have no DSL at all. I'm a little bit rural here, and the "prehistoric DSL" is the only connected option I have. Cable TV doesn't come down here, so that's out. Comcast offered to provide me with cable for a mere $10K up-front fee. I was so giddy with excitement that I didn't get around to accepting their generous offer. I can sorta live with the download speed (<3Meg), but it's the upload "speed" that is a problem for me. It is 384K nominal, but never really close to that. I often need to upload some large files and collections thereof, so sometimes it's easier to just drive to my Ladyfriend's place (45 min) and use her system. Plus, I even get a free dinner occasionally.

The thunderstorms are a real issue for me -- not only for the DSL interruptions, but occasional damage from lightning strikes. The last bad one I had was when lightning struck two different trees on two different sides of my house on the same night. That little experience cost me three motherboards, all of my wired network gear, my garage door opener and some outside security lights and a good bit of my time repairing and replacing. Lightning can be fun.

You might be right about my wi-fi being so slow that it is not as subject to interruption. I am sensitive to interruptions, so I would have noticed had it been happening.

Take care,
Russ

tonyz3

I have been wondering if anyone tried this yet and if it works for the limited connectivity problems. Amazon.com: Amped Wireless High Power Wi-Fi Adapter for Windows 8 (TAN1): Computers & Accessories I do see the bars go down to 2-3 on my SP during the day when i am in myhome office using the pro as my DT. I was thinking of trying it but figured someone else would of by now. i figure i could just hook it to one of the Dells dock connections and use it in the office. I get good reception in all the other rooms.

Ruffles

Mines been running OK but I did completely wipe it and installed Win 8 from scratch. As for my wifi problems, before the update on my home network, I could always connect to 802.11G just fine. Connecting to my 802.11N 5GHz network would connect but after several minuets, the connection would slow and then stop. I never got any limited connectivity error though. My network uses WPA2 Personal encryption. After the update, I can stay connected to both networks.

All is not perfect, however. At work, we have an 802.11N network with WPA2 Enterprise encryption. While I can connect to this network just fine, my download speed is less than 1MB while my upload is around 20MB. My phone and other peoples tablets (Apple & Android) get 20MB up and down. I've experience this behavior before and after the update.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

You know what would be AWESOME? If MS would release a patch that ACTUALLY WORKS.

I know its a lot to ask and all, but c'mon these patches are bugfests.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, like just now. I just sent that last message and my wifi disconnected for about 10 seconds then came back on. Just weird. I am sitting like 5 feet from my wireless router. I run my desktop off the same router and it never disconnects.

DOS

OK, so I just had a website freeze up on me again. It seems to be the same website, over and over... Is this a Wi-Fi issue or a website issue? (gminsidenews.com)

TeknoBlast

OK, so I just had a website freeze up on me again. It seems to be the same website, over and over... Is this a Wi-Fi issue or a website issue? (gminsidenews.com)

I'd say website issue. I say this because I go a website for daily news everyday and on all my Windows 8 devices, the site locks up for a few minutes and then finally unlocks. And it's all because of the banner ads that go across the entire site and then Meebo(sp?) is loading.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Dunno but I am experiencing a lot of website lockups in the past week than I ever have with any recent computer. Images take a long time to load. It says my wifi is still on but data is frozen somehow. Also scrolling freezes and mouseclicks go dead for about 10 seconds. This just doesn't feel like an i5 cpu right now.

Inadorel

I'm not having any problems. Using my SP all the time ad not seeing any issues..... Might be worth installing a web proxy (burp community edition for example) and running the traffic through that to see what is going on...

fonzman78

Sorry to hear about all the wifi issues. I've had an SP since day one and have never issues with wifi dropping. I had minor issues with wifi connecting but these went away with the latest patch so I'm inclined to believe that the patch worked. I use my SP everyday, all day, at home, at coffee shops (my offices) and have never had dropped wifi. I also use it with my Mifi and also doesn't drop.

I know that it is a real problem with some but I guess I lucked out with my SP.