What's new

Anyone else seeing major battery drops overnight?

gman713

My Surface Pro 2 went from 100% last night after I let it go to sleep and this morning it was at 7% remaining with me never touching it. I think I am about through with Microsoft Surface. I'm not sure if I should go back to Apple for reliability or wait for a better supported piece of hardware. Are there better tablets like the form of the Surface running on Haswell?

jollywombat

This is due to the December 10th firmware update that caused issues with Sleep and Hibernation. A firmware update is due on January 14th to address this and other issues it caused.

You have posted a couple threads regarding this already this week and this was explained in detail the cause and pending solution, why another thread with the exact same thing?

Last edited:

Harvey

The best thing to do until then is to power down when you are not using it.
It is quick to boot anyway.

The best thing to do until then is to power down when you are not using it.
It is quick to boot anyway.

your device wakes exactly 60 minutes after putting it to sleep when it tries to hibernate the device since its been asleep long enough. The best option, as I've posted many times is to turn off the "hibernate after 60 minutes" option in your balanced power profile under "sleep settings" your device will just sleep for the night and lose a percent or 2 at most, it will resume very quickly and be at the state you left it compared to restarting all open programs/windows from a cold boot.

OP
G

gman713

your device wakes exactly 60 minutes after putting it to sleep when it tries to hibernate the device since its been asleep long enough. The best option, as I've posted many times is to turn off the "hibernate after 60 minutes" option in your balanced power profile under "sleep settings" your device will just sleep for the night and lose a percent or 2 at most, it will resume very quickly and be at the state you left it compared to restarting all open programs/windows from a cold boot.

Thanks! I'll use your solution. It makes the most sense.

Rvacha

I am doing the opposite with good success - I disabled sleep and enabled hibernate for everything. A bit slower to turn on, but no overnight battery drain whatsoever

bluegrass

I've always felt with as fast as the Surface boots, why sleep or hibernate. I always do a shutdown when I'm not going to use my Surface for awhile.

OP
G

gman713

So what option should I do? I had hibernate to go on after 60 minutes, but apparently it didn't work. Right now, sleep is on and hibernate is set to never. Which way will use minimal battery power overnight if I do not turn it off?

bluegrass

Than experiment if you can't shut it off for some reason. I did notice there is a "Firmware" tab in the Device Manager of the Control Panel. If you select the "Firmware" tab it has a sub tab named "Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware". If you open it up and choose the "Driver" tab, it has a button called "Roll Back Driver". If it allows you to roll back the firmware driver, perhaps that would fix your problem until the update is released next Tuesday.

My driver date is 11/15/2013.

Last edited:

Rvacha

IMHO it's hard to beat hibernate in terms of overnight discharge (there isn't any to speak of and fewer things will automatically wake the SP from hibernate than sleep). However, going into and out of hibernate requires disk activity and resultant battery drain so if you hibernate frequently (not really my use case) it may actually be better overall to sleep. What I did was:

1. Set hibernate timers shorter than the sleep timers
2. Configured the cover to hibernate
3. Configured the power button to hibernate
4. Just to cover the bases I added hibernate to the power options

The downside of this is that the Windows logo never wakes up the machine, but that is not important to me

With this configuration it should never sleep before hibernate. I think that is the key, especially if you have a 8MB device (256GB and 512GB SP2s seem to be having the worst problems)

Last edited: