What's new

Anyone else waiting for a new Microsoft Surface Pro?

LastDayDawn

I visited my local BestBuy today and I was playing around with the surface pro and was really fond of it and could see myself using it but the battery life is a real bummer.
I'm sticking it out till Haswell to wait and make my purchase because the battery life inevitably has to increase from the dreadful 3-4 hours people are reporting.

What about you? Are you waiting or are you satisfied with your purchase?
Also, for those of you who have already purchased the Surface, do you use it as your main computer? If so, does the small screen strain your eyes or do you ever wish for a larger display?

mitchellvii

Unless you have a burning need for a Surface Pro or any other laptop right now you are better off waiting. Not only will Haswell have twice the battery life, it will have twice the graphics speed. Sadly our shiny new devices are months away from being yesterday's news.

malberttoo

You can wait for a Haswell version if you want, but I really don't believe you'll be seeing that much of an improvement in battery life. Just my opinion... but I don't think it will be anywhere close to what you can get on an Atom-powered device, or some such.

My notebook is a Thinkpad X201 Tablet, 12". So it is small, but I wasn't carrying it with me everywhere I went, unless I was going out into the field or knew I'd need it for something. The Surface though, I take everywhere with me, every day. Many times it stays in the truck, but many more times than I could have guessed at the beginning of the day, it has come in so useful and handy. The saying about smart phones, where the best camera is the one you have with you... well that has really been true of my Surface as well. Only in this case, the computer I have with me has an i5 and actually rocks!

To me, the display is fine. If it was any bigger, it would change the weight dynamics of the thing. Again, just my humble opinion, but the overall size of the Surface is just about right. I spend most of my time in the Desktop environment, and have not changed the DPI from 150%.

Agave Azul

I visited my local BestBuy today and I was playing around with the surface pro and was really fond of it and could see myself using it but the battery life is a real bummer.
I'm sticking it out till Haswell to wait and make my purchase because the battery life inevitably has to increase from the dreadful 3-4 hours people are reporting.

I will second this thread.
I am impatiently waiting to give MS my money for this !
Intel, please sameday deliver the haswells ASAP!
:cool2:

mtalinm

I think everone is going to be underwhelmed by Haswell. if hweover they can deliver a Surface pro with the form factor and battery life of an RT I'll eat my hat

Codevine

Unless you have a burning need for a Surface Pro or any other laptop right now you are better off waiting. Not only will Haswell have twice the battery life, it will have twice the graphics speed. Sadly our shiny new devices are months away from being yesterday's news.
I kinda dobut twice the graphics Speed. The Haswell which will be built into Surface Pro 2 (and similar ultrabooks) will not be the same Version Intel announced "twice the graphics Speed" for. As far as I know, the 15W Version will have 50% more performance in 3Dmark 11, but you can't really convert that to average real performance.

While I hope it'd have double the graphics speed, I wouldn't put my hopes up too high. Anyways, I'm still waiting for the Surface Pro to be released. ;)

tonyz3

even though it will be SP2 it will still be haswell Ver1, I have already posted previously that Intel has already mentioned a big bug it will released with which has to do with usb3.0 connections not working properly. So as they say the grass is not always greener. Like someone else mentioned right around the time Haswell are being launched they will leak something else which will be a few months out- so will you just wait for that. Yikes. :crazy:

DOS

I would think we won’t see the next version of the Surface Pro until 2014

For me, the current Pro hardware is great. I would much rather see enhancements to Windows 8 as well as Modern UI apps; particularly the Office Suite.

Russ

For me, the current Pro hardware is great.

DOS --

Add my name to that list. I have a West Coast trip coming up soon, and I will be taking the Pro and leaving my laptop at home. In fact, my laptop is just awaiting my daughter's next visit and it will pass into her gentle hands. Having a mere "tablet" replace my laptop for travel is about as strong a statement as I could make as to my satisfaction with the hardware.

Regards,
Russ

tonyz3

For me, the current Pro hardware is great. I would much rather see enhancements to Windows 8 as well as Modern UI apps; particularly the Office Suite.
Yep me too. I even like the kickstand and penholder... i look forward to the day when the DT disappears completely. We of course need the equivalent in Modern ui apps to take its place. I hate to sound like Mitch here beating a deadhorse to death....over and over . and over and over. and over..:LOL:but just because i use Bluetooth everyday for my mouse keyboard and DT speakers. I would love for a tile to quickly toggle bluetooth and even wifi on and off( really this is my only annoyance currently with win 8- minor annoyance)

Last edited: