What's new

Solved Anyone experience problems with AC Adapter?

talon90

My AC Adapter died this morning on my SP3 purchased on 10/15/14. It worked fine the day previous. I used it throughout the day yesterday and last evening. When I went to plug it in this morning I noticed that the LED on the AC Adapter wasn't coming on. No indication on the SP3 itself, no battery light, no charging indication but the tablet was functioning normal otherwise.

I did some research and tried all the tricks I could find online. I changed the AC Adapter orientation, changed electrical outlets, restarted the device, shut down the device, two finger shutdown of the device, uninstalled the battery drivers in device manager all to no avail. I then attempted to plug my phone and tablet in to the USB power port on the power brick and noted that it wouldn't offer power to any device that I plugged in.

I ran over to Staples and purchased a new AC Adapter and all is now right with the world. I'm going to attempt to contact Microsoft and see if I can get a replacement charger. Do you think I'm best trying this on line or visiting a Microsoft store in person? I was planning to get a spare adapter for travel anyway so this just pushed up my timetable but I would like to get a warranty replacement for the one that died so prematurely.

Just curious if anyone else has had their adapter die on them.

r0b123

If there's a local MS store, definitely drop by. They should be able to exchange it for a new one after confirming the old one has died.

Is the cable frayed where the adapter plugs into the SP3? I've read others have seen something similar and have tried reinforcing that area with heat shrink tubing. It could also be just coincidence and just have died as well.

OP
talon90

talon90

If there's a local MS store, definitely drop by. They should be able to exchange it for a new one after confirming the old one has died.

Is the cable frayed where the adapter plugs into the SP3? I've read others have seen something similar and have tried reinforcing that area with heat shrink tubing. It could also be just coincidence and just have died as well.

Thanks for the reply Rob. No fraying at all. All of the connection points look good as new. there are a few marks on the body of the brick from being in my backpack for travel but that's it.

My wife and I are headed to Hawaii in two days for a nice long vacation. I'll pack the dead adapter and visit the Microsoft store in Honolulu while I'm there. Geeks in paradise, gotta love it, LOL.

willgill

The heat shrink tubing is a good idea. Something I found that works better for reinforcing cords is Sugru. It's a putty like substance that dries to a flexible rubber.

Knuck

Pretty common problem. Already replaced my first SP3 charger. You have to be very careful not to strain them.

Last edited:

riggi

Mine died after 1 week. Was working fine until then.
The light on the connector was on, but the systray icon said "Plugged in, not charging" when you hovered over it.

Went to the shop I bought it from and their display model charger worked fine.
They just opened up another SP3 box and swapped the charger from that.

Martin Russell

My AC Adapter died this morning on my SP3 purchased on 10/15/14. It worked fine the day previous. I used it throughout the day yesterday and last evening. When I went to plug it in this morning I noticed that the LED on the AC Adapter wasn't coming on. No indication on the SP3 itself, no battery light, no charging indication but the tablet was functioning normal otherwise.

I did some research and tried all the tricks I could find online. I changed the AC Adapter orientation, changed electrical outlets, restarted the device, shut down the device, two finger shutdown of the device, uninstalled the battery drivers in device manager all to no avail. I then attempted to plug my phone and tablet in to the USB power port on the power brick and noted that it wouldn't offer power to any device that I plugged in.

I ran over to Staples and purchased a new AC Adapter and all is now right with the world. I'm going to attempt to contact Microsoft and see if I can get a replacement charger. Do you think I'm best trying this on line or visiting a Microsoft store in person? I was planning to get a spare adapter for travel anyway so this just pushed up my timetable but I would like to get a warranty replacement for the one that died so prematurely.

Just curious if anyone else has had their adapter die on them.
Yes I have just replaced mine on my Surface Pro 2 after only 6 months. But Microsoft were excellent. I live in Italy but called the UK helpline ( easier in my own language!) I got a replacement in 3 days. So don't go to your store. but you need to have registered a Microsoft account they can then find all your details of what you purchased. youwhwn I got the new cable I have immediately put electrical tape around the joint of the thin cable at the brick end. This is where it breaks. So lets see I'd that works!

bluegrass

The heat shrink tubing is a good idea. Something I found that works better for reinforcing cords is Sugru. It's a putty like substance that dries to a flexible rubber.

Sugra is great stuff. I applied it to my Surface power supplies and also used to patch a leak in my Grumman canoe.

OP
talon90

talon90

I thought that I'd post a follow-up to close this out. As noted earlier, we were in Hawaii for the last 10 days so I brought the Surface and the dead power brick with me. I was going to make a service appointment but wasn't sure if that was necessary and it wasn't but a half mile walk to the Ala Moana store in Honolulu from our hotel at Waikiki beach so on Black Friday no less, we went for a walk. I packed up my Surface and brick in to my backpack and headed out. The store was busy but very well staffed for the crazy retail day.

As soon as I entered the door I was greeted and welcomed. I told the clerk about my issue. He seemed a bit new and wasn't sure that this would fall under the basic warranty and asked if I had the complete care. I noted that this product was part of the original purchase and integral to the operation of the device and that this was only one day short of six weeks old. He asked the store manager to come over. She agreed that this was a warranty/defect issue but normally I should have made a service appointment. I explained that we were there on vacation and that I would like to make an appointment. Upon hearing this she said, that's ok, we have some spares and had me go over to the service area. She disappeared in to the back and brought out a new adapter and had me try it out. Done and done.

I had planned on talking to them about the complete care so while I was there I asked if I could add it in store and if they could do the evaluation since it was still inside the 45 days. She said absolutely and completed the evaluation. While that was going on, I decided to ask about the screen protector. They had them in stock and she told me that they would also install it for me. Ok, sold, LOL.

She called over the in store expert on installing the screen protector (they called him the screen whisperer). He very diligently worked to completely clean my screen, removing the finger prints and dust prior to beginning. He installed the screen in one shot and it took him longer to ensure the screen was cleaned than to actually do the install. Just a few minutes and it was done and nearly perfect.

So, in exchange for a little good will on their part I wanted to return the favor by making a purchase. Super competent staff, great customer service and an overall pleasant experience. Noelle and Garrett, two thumbs up. Anyone in Honolulu - stop in and visit the store. This was my first visit to a Microsoft store and it won't be my last. I think the overall experience was better than at any Apple store I've been to. All the quality of service without the pompous attitude...LOL.

OP
talon90

talon90

LOL! Didn't mean to brag. Very blessed, my wife and I have been traveling there since 2001. It's our chance to get away from the hustle and bustle.

I just wanted to put a punctuation mark on my story and give credit to the folks at the Microsoft store who took such great care of me while visiting. I just really couldn't be happier with it. I came from a Surface Pro and can't believe how well they addressed every issue I had with the original.