What's new

Solved Anyone experience VPN problems with their SB?

elee532

Anyone experienced VPN connection problems with their Surface Book? I have a Surface Pro 3 and Surface Book. Both have an identically configured VPN connection. The Pro 3 works fine. The Surface Book will not connect. The only difference I can figure is that that on the Pro 3, the VPN was originally setup under Windows 8.1 (now upgraded to Windows 10).

Any chance it's a hardware issue with Surface Book?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@elee532,

Do this:
On your Surface Book
1) Right-click on the VPN connection icon in the notification area of the Taskbar, Open Network and Sharing Center
2) Change adapter settings.
2) Find the VPN adapter. Adjust properties - choose Internet Protocol Version 4 and Version 6 (IPv4 and IPv6) to Obtain an IP address automatically.

Let us know if this works.

mcsenerd

Really need some more details on the VPN client involved before too much help can be provided. I've used the latest Cisco AnyConnect client without issue on the Surface Book.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use VPN on the Surface Book without issue (also Cisco AnyConnect Secure Client).

However, under Windows 8.1 and Surface Pro 3, including Technical Preview Builds of Windows 10, the fix stated above was necessary.

OP
E

elee532

Thank you for the reply sharpcolorado! This wasn't exactly my problem. But, it did lead me to the solution. The fix for me was that CHAP needed to be enabled as the authentication protocol. Problem was, I wasn't seeing this setting option because I was configuring my VPN settings through the new Windows 10 settings section. As soon as a I saw this familiar configuration area, I knew what I needed to do.

Terribly confusing. I wonder if MS plans to full integrate this in the future.

Thanks again!!

Orlbuckeye

I'm able to use VPN on my SB. My compnay uses Juno Pulse which was integrated in Windows starting with Windows 8 but my company didn't upgrade the info structure and I have to use the Juno client. The Juno client is a desktop app and I have a shortcut on my desktop. I start Juno and add my username and PW and then run Remote Desktop. I have to lower the resolution to be able to read my work screen 3000 x 2000 makes the screen almost unreadable.