What's new

Anyone have a Surface without backlight bleed?

Megalith

When is this crap going to end? Every time I buy a device with an IPS screen, I get some kind of ridiculous backlight bleeding.

My Surface Pro 2 has obvious bleed at the lower edges. It is definitely going back.

Anyone lucky enough to get one with absolutely zero backlight bleed? (No, I don't want to hear from anyone who has no idea what it is or how to check for it and telling me their unit is perfect.)

BillJ

There is a little light bleed on any IPS screen. My SP2 has a little on startup. It is not visible at all during regular use. No big deal.

mitchellvii

Mine is ever so slight but I have to be on a black screen in the dark to notice it.

You probably just have bad luck when it comes to this one thing.

David Puddy

I have some on startup as well, like flashlighting on the top and a bit at the bottom. But after that it's perfect, even on dark backgrounds I don't notice any bleed or flashlighting. When I first turned on my sp2 I thought maybe I got a problem but this only occurs on start up, don't know why. So far pretty happy with it.

Elusive

I have some bleed in the top left corner, which is really only visible on all-black in the dark, however I know it's there. I did a test, just to check it out in a windowless room, in the complete darkness, and once my eyes adjusted, I could individually count 8 specific points of light around the parameter of the screen (clearly the edge lighting itself), however those are a non-issue. The one in the top left I can definitely see easily though.

A good tool to test pixels, yellowing and bleed can be found here: Apple iMac (Fall 2009) Issues: How to Check Your iMac

Just click the 'Test screen'. It'll run in metro IE, or any other browser.

I'm debating to pick up a second Surface Pro 2, 128 GB version, to see if it's any better or worse, but I have the 256 GB / 8 GB model, which is sold out everywhere here now (I picked mine up as soon as the doors opened at Best Buy). If the screen ends up being perfect, I basically take a hit on specs (however, save $350.00 as a result, I guess).

Ruffles

I've had 3 SP1's and 1 SP2. All have had a bit of bleed. The worst was my launch day tablet. The rest have all been perfectly acceptable.

Elusive

I will add, for the sake of historic reference, I had three Surface RT devices in the past as well, and each of them had bleed, some worse than others (the last of three had severe digitizer problems). I have yet to see a post online of a perfect Surface Pro/Surface Pro 2, however typically people with normal screens don't post about their screens being normal, so we're the vocal minority in this case.

I didn't notice any problems with my S2 after running the above test. The screen is absolutely amazing as far as picture quality. I was comparing it to a professor's RT yesterday and the difference was readily apparent even on the Metro menu.

Elusive

I didn't notice any problems with my S2 after running the above test. The screen is absolutely amazing as far as picture quality. I was comparing it to a professor's RT yesterday and the difference was readily apparent even on the Metro menu.

Yeah, I almost can't see it at all in the day time. The only time I can see the hot spots is at night, watching Netflix, or anything with a black background. (or dark grey). I really have to be a dark environment when I run the test at 100% brightness to check. Just out of curiosity, did you run this in the dark at 100% brightness? I know it's not a common use case, but, it assists in this particular test.

polbit

Mine has VERY minor bleed on left side, but its the best IPS screen I've owned as far as quality so far.