What's new

Anyone have knowledge of Gates, Circuits, Logic Diagrams, and Boolean Expressions??????

nightpoison

anyone out there have an understanding of Gates & Circuits, and can help comparing two 2bit numbers to design a circuit or Boolean expression? It has been 16 years since I last set foot in a classroom. I've been working retail, management, for the last 10 years. It I had enough, it was time to go back to school. So I enrolled at Salem State and I'm back in school, looking to finish the degree I started. So I'm getting my degree in Computer Science and we are currently working with Gates, Circuits, Logic diagrams, and Boolean expressions.

I figured out the two bit problems fine, I even felt confident figuring out the three bit issue. But I'm struggling with two 2 bit problems. Here's the problem I'm currently working on. Any help would be great.

"Design a circuit that compares two 2 bit values for equality. That is, given values C and D, where C has two bits c1 and c0, & D has two bits d1 and d0. the output X, should be 1 if and only if C==D"

if anyone can post the boolean expression or logic diagram that would be great. I'll be about to work backwords and figure out how it was designed and why. A little explanation would help.

Thanks guys.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is the XNOR logic.
(c1⊙c0)⋅(d1⊙d0)

An alternate involves subtracting C from D or D from C.. If C and D are equal, the subtraction results in 0.
(To subtract C from D, reverse all bits of C (twos complement) then add to D.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
CD + ~C~D normally Id write that with CD and an overbar
(c And d) Or ((Not c) And (Not d))

Better check my work :) haven't done this in years..

logic.PNG

Although in trying to figure out how to display this I found this.

OP
N

nightpoison

wow thank you both. I appreciate it. I understand looking at the expression and logic diagram, I just need to figure out how to come up with the results on my own.

any idea how it would change if C & D were Signed Magnitude 2bit numbers?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Does not matter whether numbers are signed or not. You just care whether the 1s and 0s of C or D are the same, and don't care about the context of C or D.

OP
N

nightpoison

Sharp, when I created the truth table for your equation I ended up getting 1 as an output for four of the six I need. when the inputs are 1111 or 0000, it outputs 0. Wouldn't the problem need to be have those outputs as 1 as well.

Grey when I put your expression in a truth table I don't get 1 only on matched inputs. for instance. 0001 and 0100 output 1 as well.

both of you thank you for your help.