What's new

Anyone replaced their home computer with the Surface Pro?

Profoxcg

I have been giving this some moderate tough.

I currently have a 2009 imac with 16gb running windows 8 and a 24" dell monitor as a second screen. However since Ive been made aware that the SP support display port 1.2 I have been thinking of replacing my current setup with two monitors that will be powered by the SP.

Storage is not a problem as I can connect to a NAS or external drive, and in regards to mouse and keyboard and such, I am sure the Microsoft will release some sort of dock in the future. (they have to, how can they not right?)

one of the things that is important to me is being able to take notes on the surface while being able to use my computer, but example.
I can be working on the imac, and using the surface to take notes using one note...

Id like to know if anyone has implemented the change I am thinking of making and get some feedback please.

Cambo

I got rid of my computer when I got my Asus t700 infinity. And now I don't need that any more as this does it all for me.i was a bit spoiled with the amazing battery of the infinity but already the versility of the surface makes all worth while

souldier

Ultimately you will be your own best judge because you know your situation and needs better than anyone else. As for me, my surface pro is now my main and only computer that I use at home as a desktop and on the go. At home, I connect my surface pro to a monitor and use a wireless mouse and keyboard. I remember at an interview microsoft said they have no plans to release some sort of docking station for the surface pro. I personally don't see it as necessary. I elevate the surface pro itself so its more in line with the monitor and bring it a bit closer for easy touch access. My set up works great and its like your using any other desktop computer.

My main complaint is there is still no driver that allows external monitors to have a different scaling than the surface itself. IMG_2035.JPG

Last edited:

zhenya

I have been using my Surface Pro as my main computer at work for the last week or so, with a Targus USB docking station driving two 1920x1200 monitors.

Performance is reasonably good - but as a work computer, I don't prioritize video capabilities. Driving 2 monitors over DisplayPort would be great, but I have not seen anyone actually do it yet - and it will either require a new monitor that allows daisy-chaining, or a not-yet-available hub to connect existing monitors.

I would have a hard time getting rid of my iMac at home for this though. It's nice having an all-in-one to sit down with from time to time - and more importantly, our iMac is effectively the central hub of our home network.

tonyz3

I use my pro as my main rig also. I work from home so I am on it all day, I currently have it using two dell s2340t touch monitors- both work great now distortion. I have tried every configuration thought of - that is for another thread tho- but still cant get touch to work in both- only one. I rec an email from display link yest bc I asked them about it and they say it is a driver issue to talk to dell. anyway I do find it to be a great main computer. Basically I run Skype calls all day with outlook , excel, twitter, IE , music and others open, Bluetooth keyboard, mouse and speaker on all the time as well and never have any issues. As I mentioned elsewhere bc I am close to a plug batt life is a nonissue for me. I would love an external battery option. No problems using this as your main rig.

Last edited:

Jay Slasher

I use my surface pro as my all purpose on the go machine, but when I need power and performance I move over to my gaming desktop. Unfortunately the surface pro is no substitue for a true gaming PC. Aside from that its great.

KLR

More and more my wife and I find ourselves using a tablet to get by with our day to day needs. However, there are times when I still prefer a desktop such as gaming, banking, taxes....etc. Hence, it is really going to be case specific for each user on if they can support such a shift.

One thing is certain, the use of our home computers is WAY down.

paesan

I use my surface pro as my all purpose on the go machine, but when I need power and performance I move over to my gaming desktop. Unfortunately the surface pro is no substitue for a true gaming PC. Aside from that its great.

I use the surface pro for my work while on the road doing appointments. Great for connecting to my wifi hotspot thru my Samsung S3. At home I have my gaming pc and usually connect to my tv to play games, no way the surface pro would play far cry 3, crysis 3, etc at a good frame rate. For work at my home office I can't use the surface pro because I have a quad monitor setup.

dlacaba

Yup, but my home computer is also an old xp machine that was rarely used in the first place. I have an XBox 360 for gaming. I'm going to be getting rid of the desktop and will be just using the surface or my wife's ipad for home computing.

Arizona Willie

I love my Surface and use it a lot, but I would never use a tablet ( or phone ) for banking or tax work.
Too easily lost / stolen.

My desktop is a monster case with 11 drive bays and water cooling etc. etc.
It takes a strong guy to lift it and would not be easy to remove ... well at least not nearly as easy as grabbing the tablet and going.

Everything has it's place.

Anything you want secure belongs on a desktop not a tablet -- in my opinion :)

More and more my wife and I find ourselves using a tablet to get by with our day to day needs. However, there are times when I still prefer a desktop such as gaming, banking, taxes....etc. Hence, it is really going to be case specific for each user on if they can support such a shift.

One thing is certain, the use of our home computers is WAY down.

bosamar

I would never consider replacing my Desktop with the Pro. The screen isn't large enough, not enough RAM, and the video card is not made for gaming.

machistmo

I have basically replaced my Desktop with the Pro. I post all my stuff here with the Pro and do all my RDP to the office here on the Pro. I have a W510 Laptop and a Desktop upstairs and rarely use either. I have not gamed in quite some time but I think I need to start again.. After selling all my 40 some-odd Steam accounts and the main account with all the Unusual hats, I hate to start there again. I sold all my metal maker TF2 boxes too and copies of SandBoxie that went with them. What was great was my power bill went down by about $21 per month after I stopped idling across multiple accounts and other activities on the bot PC's.

Is there a good, not to time consuming, bent towards the Surface Pro, Game that I could install and play from the Pro? Maybe the new Sim City? Civ5?