What's new

Anyone running Premiere Elements?

mikecox

I purchased this computer because I believed it would be able to handle Photoshop, Lightroom, and PrE. I does ok with Ps and Lr but it chokes up on PrE!

I'm still convinced that this computer is up to the task and maybe the problem is with my Preference settings.

I'd like to get input from users of this Adobe product.

flar

I have the original i7/16G/512GB/"nVidia GeForce GPU" version (not the newer nVidia GPU in the powerbase, but the original GPU model) and I ran Premiere Pro the other day on a simple 1080p file, cutting down an interview, and it worked fine. I didn't set anything special in any preference settings, it was the first time I'd run it on this machine and pretty much just installed it a couple of days before the interview shoot and did the editing on site with no customizations.

Which model SB do you have?
How "choked up" is it getting for you?

OP
mikecox

mikecox

I have the original i7/16G/512GB/"nVidia GeForce GPU" version (not the newer nVidia GPU in the powerbase, but the original GPU model) and I ran Premiere Pro the other day on a simple 1080p file, cutting down an interview, and it worked fine. I didn't set anything special in any preference settings, it was the first time I'd run it on this machine and pretty much just installed it a couple of days before the interview shoot and did the editing on site with no customizations.

Which model SB do you have?
How "choked up" is it getting for you?

This problem is extremely frustrating because it is nearly impossible for me to preview my project. Last night I had finished my current project of 8 still images and a short video clip. While the soundtracks play the Monitor remains black a good part of the time, even when I try scrubbing. Rendering takes a long time and appears to have no effect on the jittering, stopping and starting or the failure to project the images on the monitor.

This has been a consistent problem, someones it gets to the point I was last night, where I had to shut PrE down and start it up again, which sometimes worked. I've also tried rebooted my SB but the problems just returns.

The SB should be able to handle these "slideshow" projects but it isn't and I can't figure out why! I've re-installed the program after having the IT service I subscribe to scan my computer for problems, which they did not find.

I'm at my wit's end, Steve Grisetti, who's written books about PrE and runs a video editing forum is baffled, as are members of the forum who are not having this problem with PrE. Steve claims his computer is less powerful than my SB.

I am considering re-installing Windows, as a last-ditch effort to resolve this issue, but first I wanted to see if any SB users were having problems with PrE and contact Adobe to see if they have any idea what's going on.

Windows 10 Pro
v 1607
OS Build 14393.1715
Intel Core i7-6600U CPU @2.60GHz 2.81
16 GB RAM
64-bit OS, x64-based processor
Intel HD graphics 520
NVIDIA GeForce GPU

flar

It sounds like it's the same hardware, but I'm on v1703 OS Build 15063.632. Not sure if that has any impact.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

It sounds like it's the same hardware, but I'm on v1703 OS Build 15063.632. Not sure if that has any impact.
I agree, those numbers get too far into the weeds for me also. But I sounds, to me, like a graphics card issue. I'm going to the NVIDIA site to see if I can find some answers.

flar

I agree, those numbers get too far into the weeds for me also. But I sounds, to me, like a graphics card issue. I'm going to the NVIDIA site to see if I can find some answers.
I'm not sure what is too far in the weeds. You are on Win10 v1607 which was released more than a year ago. I'm on 1703 which was released earlier this year.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

I'm not sure what is too far in the weeds. You are on Win10 v1607 which was released more than a year ago. I'm on 1703 which was released earlier this year.
Thanks. But shouldn't updates make everything current with newer releases?

But I'm guessing that's a moot point. I still think this is a graphics card issue that I am going to have to take up with NVIDIA and Adobe.

flar

I'll have to defer to someone who knows more about Microsoft's Win10 versioning schemes for the full story, but the v1607/v1703 numbers are more than just standard bug fix updates. You should eventually get offered to update to v1703 (aka the Creators Update) via the standard Update mechanism, but the timing is a mystery to me - and you can manually trigger such an update, but you might want to read more about various problems and fixes people had when they first got the new version before you decide to do that.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

I'll have to defer to someone who knows more about Microsoft's Win10 versioning schemes for the full story, but the v1607/v1703 numbers are more than just standard bug fix updates. You should eventually get offered to update to v1703 (aka the Creators Update) via the standard Update mechanism, but the timing is a mystery to me - and you can manually trigger such an update, but you might want to read more about various problems and fixes people had when they first got the new version before you decide to do that.
Thanks, I'll do that.
I have NVIDIA's attention. They emailed me and asked for more info and a steps recording, though I'm not sure that records the screen, I've never used it. The important thing is that I have hooked a NVIDIA technician who may be able to tell me if this is a graphics problem.

OP
mikecox

mikecox

NVIDIA says MS modified their chip so refused to discuss the problem. I'm guessing this is a graphics card issue and the "modified" one inside the SB because no one on the PrE forum reports having this problem.