What's new

Anyone tried charging their Surface via USB

Afy

Am on a business trip and have forgotten my charger at home. Any idea if the Surface can be charged via USB connected to a desktop or laptop?

rogerjenn

The D-Link DUB-H7 7-port hub includes two high-current USB ports for charging at 1A, which should suffice for charging (slowly) in a pinch.

Not sure if the Surface RT supports charging from the USB port, however.

--rj

machistmo

I am on Energizers Site attempting to get the specs for a charging tip entered. Would be nice to have a tip available to the XP1800

pwaggs

Am on a business trip and have forgotten my charger at home. Any idea if the Surface can be charged via USB connected to a desktop or laptop?

Ugh...you are going to have a visit to a MS store in your future. I don't think that the Surface is ubiquitous enough yet, but you can always check your hotel desk to see if house service has turned one in from a past customer. Often times they have so many chargers they will give you a phone charger.

bosamar

Ugh...you are going to have a visit to a MS store in your future. I don't think that the Surface is ubiquitous enough yet, but you can always check your hotel desk to see if house service has turned one in from a past customer. Often times they have so many chargers they will give you a phone charger.
Been there, done that. :p

Tx2Stepn

I have a converter like this: Universal DC to AC Outlet Converter Adapter [US Plug] and I bought the smaller 24w additional charger for $40.00

Quoted from Techradar.com:

'If you already have a Surface RT, you can use its charger for the Surface Pro in a pinch. It doesn't charge as fast, but it still charges, which is handy for topping up at home if you keep your Pro charger at work, for instance, or if you don't want to go all the way downstairs to get the charger. The Surface Pro charger will charge the Surface RT as well, getting a full charge in well under two hours this way."