What's new

anyone's fans come on yet?

Swissmorgy

Hi everyone,

mine haven't ever gone one yet and I am very glad about it! The fans were the reason I turned in a Sony Vaio Pro 13 a few months ago.

Swissmorgy

Dane

Although I haven't heard my fans come on yet, I played Halo for about 30-40 minutes last night, and the machine heated up a bit and produced a faint burning odor that was a bit surprising. I'm hoping that because it's a new machine that it's a one-time thing.

hksrb25s14

I think you guys aren't playing graphics intense games, I'd test out the fan on your SP2 if they still work, I don't hear the fan while playing normal less demanding games, if I play super street fighter 4, dmc, call of duty ghosts, crysis 3, I hear the fan. It's time to pop your fan cherries, test it out if it works.

bluegrass

Though I love the SP1->SP2 upgrade, my one gripe is that they didn't go with a fan-less design like other Haswell laptops.

On the SP1, I could see why they needed the fans at least for driving an external display via USB. That's the only time mine used to come on, and I run some fairly thirsty statistical processing programs.

I have yet to hear the fans come on with the SP2, even though I use the identical setup.

Has anyone heard the fans come on yet?

Methinks they could have done without the fans, and thus either improved battery life further or reduced thickness + weight.

Sadly I failed to ask their hardware designer this question at the Boston Surface 2 launch, but I figured they were still necessary as with SP2. Not so sure anymore.

Here's hoping SP3 will be fan-less!

If you can't hear the fan like me, why worry about whehter they're there are not. I can't help but believe with the thickness of the SP2, the fans can't be very big and make much noise. I believe the must be coming on because I watch a lot of video & I've just never heard them.