What's new

anything wrong in using a SP3 charger on a SP4?

I noticed the charger that came with my SP3 is a 47.8w charger, while the one that came with the SP4 is a 41w charger. 6-7watts doesn't seem like much, but I'm guessing during heavy use, it would supply enough power to the SP4 i7? I just don't want to plug it in and break something. Or use the 41watt charger on the SP3 and break something.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You will be fine using your SP3 charger for the SP4. Wattage is not a forced supply. The wattage represents the maximum the device could draw. So your SP4 will only draw what it needs.

If voltage was higher or lower than specification, that would be an issue. Voltage is "forced", like an electrical "pressure".

I use my SP3 power supply for the Surface Book. I also use a 64 Watt supply for the Surface Pro 3 and the Surface Book.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Turns out the SP3 (and all the Surface devices) cannot be force-fed a charge. The battery smart circuitry regulates. Charging takes place faster, but not by much. The charger does not need to work its maximum, though, which means it does not get extra hot.