What's new

App updates from Store?

Arizona Willie

I've noticed that I haven't gotten any updates of any apps from the Store for a long long time.

Used to get them almost every day.

Anyone getting lots of updates? No updates like me?

kristalsoldier

I've noticed that I haven't gotten any updates of any apps from the Store for a long long time.

Used to get them almost every day.

Anyone getting lots of updates? No updates like me?

Hmmm... I have been getting updates, but that is because I have not enabled the install automatically option accessed through setting in the app store (accessed through the Charms menu).

As a side note: Why the hell did MS name that particular menu as 'Charms'?

Nuspieds

Hmmm... I have been getting updates, but that is because I have not enabled the install automatically option accessed through setting in the app store (accessed through the Charms menu).

As a side note: Why the hell did MS name that particular menu as 'Charms'?
I have automatic updates enabled because I hate being bothered by messages that there is an app update, which then requires me to click around to get the update. I don't like it on my iPhone and I didn't like it in Windows 8, so I'm happy for the auto-update feature in Windows 8.1.

But for me to expect/receive daily app updates, I would have to have a huge number of apps installed! Otherwise, be they Win 8 or Win Desktop apps, much as I like my apps to be up-to-date, I also like them to be stable. It would disturb me if any of my apps required daily updates (excluding apps such as virus scanners, ad blockers, etc., which are mostly updating data files).

As for "Charms," what are you complaining about? Don't you find it charming to swipe right-to-left or move your mouse into the upper/lower right corner of the screen? :LOL: My only explanation is that someone was trying to find a user-friendly term for "Utilities" or "Tools" or "System" or something like that. I don' think "Charms" naturally fits into the lingo of an OS.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Ahh, that explains it. I just checked and it was set to auto-update.
I changed it just because I prefer to know if and when they are changing stuff on my equipment.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Well, I never gave the name " charms " any thought ... but what should they have called them? " What would have been a better name?
Charms are " magical things " that do something ... so the things on the Charms menu may not be magical but they do things.
150 years ago they would have been considered " magic ". :LOL:

Glad you worked out the update issue. But I HATE that word... bloody Charms!