What's new

Apple iPad vs Microsoft Surface

Ollie

I read a good deal of it, but had to stop because it is biased. That's a shame really because there may have been some good info somewhere in there.

MOFO

Give me xbox 360 gamepad support and Arcade live right from the start and they are miles ahead of the iPad in my eyes.

MickeyLittle

Being an Apple guy for the past several years here is my opinion and here is what I hear over and over again...

Is this the iPhone/iPad killer? And it never is! When somebody wants a tissue they ask for a Klennix and it's the same with a tablet as tablets are known as iPads, period!

Now Asus came out with the Transformer Prime and the specs blow the iPad 2 specs away however between Asus/Android/ICS it never fully happened consistently as there have been hardware/software issues out the kazoo!

Now here comes the Microsoft Surface with tons of potential but remember that potential is a curse word as potential is something that hasn't been reached yet and may never be reached. In fact we usually say it in a negative sense such as, "he/she had so much potential!" So my point is this, if the Surface comes out fairly competative in price, with pretty solid hardware across the board, and with a fluid Windows 8 operating system and some decent apps to get people's attention, then yes Microsoft can do it!

But will they or will they come up short like every other Tom, Dick, and Harry!

Perihelion

Being an Apple guy for the past several years here is my opinion and here is what I hear over and over again...

Is this the iPhone/iPad killer? And it never is! When somebody wants a tissue they ask for a Klennix and it's the same with a tablet as tablets are known as iPads, period!

Now Asus came out with the Transformer Prime and the specs blow the iPad 2 specs away however between Asus/Android/ICS it never fully happened consistently as there have been hardware/software issues out the kazoo!

Now here comes the Microsoft Surface with tons of potential but remember that potential is a curse word as potential is something that hasn't been reached yet and may never be reached. In fact we usually say it in a negative sense such as, "he/she had so much potential!" So my point is this, if the Surface comes out fairly competative in price, with pretty solid hardware across the board, and with a fluid Windows 8 operating system and some decent apps to get people's attention, then yes Microsoft can do it!

But will they or will they come up short like every other Tom, Dick, and Harry!

^^This.

MS has the potential to move the tablet game a big step forward with the Surface and the question is going to come down to execution. Both in the product and in the marketing in my opinion. The quiet killer feature for iPad has been battery life and the convenience of charging it up at night and then going all day without thinking about finding an outlet to plug into. For Surface to make a big dent in the tablet market, they have to reach this kind of battery life milestone in the Intel verison. For me the RT is a non-starter. It offers me about the same as the iPad. The Intel version has a lot of latent potential in being a full Windows device but they have to get the price down and the battery life up. If this whole thing falls down, I think it will either be in one of those 2 areas, or in the overall Win 8 interface and marketplace...

akayareal

3 things to factor in that will truly dictate how good Surface does.

1. Price point. There is no way Microsoft can expect this to work if it is over price. Granted, from what we have seen, this tablet looks to be built very solid with very good specs but the market isnt there for overpriced tablets no matter how good they are. You have a base Ipad at $400, and a now the Nexus 7 with a Terga 3 chip in it for $200 (7in screen but still packs a lot for the price point). $400 would be great but I see a base RT coming in at $500 if they plan to compete and steal some Ipad users

2. Stability. No way you steal Ipad users if this works like a windows pc that crashes apps and is easy to catch a virus (spam, malware). No way to justify paying as much or more then a Ipad if this thing doesnt run very smooth.

3. Ecosystem. RT is a tablet but still has the Windows OS at its core, as a result, may and more games and apps that would work on the desktop (with in the limits of the processor and graphics) should work on this. On top of optimized tablet versions of WP apps. I know this is asking a lot, but I always felt if any OS could do it, it would be Windows. And please let those who want to hack into their tablet and void the warranties, hack in and unlock it to take it to its limits.

VFC

The RT is doomed. There is no way it can take any significant market share away from the iPad; and this is coming from a long time MS-only user who avoided Apple's products and their closed ecosystem. Now that I have an iPad, I can clearly see that it's all about the apps. There are so many high-quality, reasonably-priced apps, I can't go a day without purchasing one or more. Even if MS encourages its developers to go full speed ahead, it is so far behind Apple that it will be impossible to offer a more sizable and better app store that will draw people away from Apple.

Now the Surface Win8 is a different story. The mixing of touch-screen consumption apps and business software in an ultra thin/light tablet is a game changer. If MS can get the Surface Win8 established before Apple releases its version, they have a chance to be the market leader. However, they will have to execute the release perfectly and be able to fend off an aggressive and relentless challenge by Apple.

Last edited:

jwilkins

This is a difficult one. Seems like tablets are taking over so...... Let's just wait and see whether Apple comes out with something new this time.

Tech

Because the Windows 8 version will be enterprise ready and Windows server 2012 will be tablet ready. Enterprises that standardize their systems with Windows will most likely adopt this tablet long before a iPad or Android tablet.

If governments adopts this device in the future, that will play a BIG roll in sales.